Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been a while since i've posted here. If you recall me, I was trying to find an amp for the longest time that didn't suck that i could afford.

I finally got myself a hot-rodded 2ch (older) dual recto with only 1 recto tube and 2 6l6's (50 watt setup) and running it through a peavy xxl 4x12 16 ohm mono cab i had lying around. I'm finally pretty happy with my tone :D

I picked up am ISP decimator Gstring stomp box to try to quiet things down a bit and help with some feedback issues. I have the gain at about 3:00 and the presence and treble are at about 1:30, so i'm not totally cranked here.

Well, the gstring doesn't seem to do anything no matter the threshold setting. I closed my eyes and stomped on it a bunch of times without looking so i couldn't see what setting it was, and changing it on to off (or off to on) had no change in sound to me, even on tight staccato bursts, and i still have massive feedback issues at even moderate (loud for a bedroom) volume levels unless i have all the strings left-hand muted HARD.

I only have a tu-3 tuner pedal besides it, so i don't have anything else to 'loop' like the instructions say to do. Running it through the effects loop also seems counter productive to me without actually having an effects loop, but i didn't try this set up (need to get a couple longer patch cables first)

So, how do i get this thing to work and get rid of my amp hiss and noise and clean up a bit of the feedback issues? Or, was i misled in thinking this would quiet down the AMP itself, not just other effects/boxes.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Try putting the preamp in the loop of the G-String:

guitar -> TU-3 -> ISP input
ISP FX send -> (alternate TU-3 location) -> amp input
amp FX send -> ISP FX return
ISP output -> amp FX return

What it's doing here is detecting the signal that is plugged into the main input and applying the gate after the pedal's loop to gate everything in the loop.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Yeah, you need to use it in the loop, and you have to have ALL the ins/outs connectedm otherwise it will do absolutely nothing. i suppoise it COULD work in front of the head as well, but you need to use both the "guitar in/out" and "decimator in/out" for it to do anything.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
^ This. :agreed:

You'd assume that the front end of the G-String would work like the regular Decimator, but it doesn't you HAVE to be using it in front of the preamp AND in front of the power amp for it to work.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, you can use it in front of the amp.

Guitar -> Guitar In
Guitar out -> Decimator In
Decimator out -> Amp input

That SHOULD work. 90% of people use it in the loop because that makes the most sense with it's layout, but I'm sure it's possible to run it in front. Let me know, I may wanna try this some day.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Definitely put it in the loop, and make sure you have the loop set to 100% wet.

The guitar in and out on a G-string doesn't have any actual reduction, it's simply feeding the pedal a signal to know when to clamp down. This lets the guitar "control" the pedal so that you don't have to turn off the pedal for clean tones/etc.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I need to pick up 2 runs of longer patch cables to reach the effects loop on the back it seems. I'll post some results after I pick those up.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try putting the preamp in the loop of the G-String:

guitar -> TU-3 -> ISP input
ISP FX send -> (alternate TU-3 location) -> amp input
amp FX send -> ISP FX return
ISP output -> amp FX return

What it's doing here is detecting the signal that is plugged into the main input and applying the gate after the pedal's loop to gate everything in the loop.
Ok, this is working mint now like this. I dialed it in to about -22db and i have basically no noise and nice tight staccato notes.

But, my 'cleans' are basically gone, even if i just roll back the volume knob 50% or so i basically have no sound unless i hit the attack hard.

Is this something i'll just have to get used to doing, going tap dancing?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Does the Dual Recto have an assignable effects loop? If so, just assign it to channel 2 only and you should be good.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Gain at 3:00 and presence at 1:30 is a large part of the noise problem. Knock them both down and use a boost.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, an OD is on my list to buy but isn't in the budget right now (due to just dropping 1300 on the recto). I need to recover some fundage.

To that end, lowering the gain and presence should allow me to lower the gate as well, thus making it come through better on lower gtr volumes?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

noodles said:
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Gain at 3:00 and presence at 1:30 is a large part of the noise problem. Knock them both down and use a boost.
This, I play gain drenched death metal and I don't run my gain past 1

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Yeah, an OD is on my list to buy but isn't in the budget right now (due to just dropping 1300 on the recto). I need to recover some fundage.

To that end, lowering the gain and presence should allow me to lower the gate as well, thus making it come through better on lower gtr volumes?
You can pick up a Digitech Bad Monkey brand new for $30 and it's a fantastic boost.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a dod FX53 "classic tube" overdrive that i bought for my fender/clean stuff years back. I threw it in front and turned the gain on the amp down, and it just, well, sucks. There's no definition to anything, and there's hardly any gain at all. level just makes it louder, cranking the drive on the pedal just breaks it up even more to crap.

Is it the pedal, or me? I really don't want to spend the big bucks on a ts808/etc if it's just going to do the same thing and leave me unhappy. While tonal characteristics may be different, the concept will still leave me with the same basic wall of slush, no?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:2.1) Gecko/20110318 Firefox/4.0b13pre Fennec/4.0)

A used TS7 will run you $25, and it has the same op chip as the TS808.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, you think running a ts7/808/ts9 will fix the issue, meaning my fx53 is crap (it probably is...)?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
BTW: How old are the power tubes? That might be your problem right there.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure. Is there a way to tell? I think it sounds great with the gain cranked a bit. I haven't gotten it loud enough to really saturate the power tubes though i don't think. It's insanely loud at just 8-9pm. Even with my ear plugs in, i can't go louder than that in my practice space.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Dead tubes is dead tubes, so volume won't help. If you don't know their age, that is the first thing I would replace.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts