Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that my amp is working agian. i noticed something with my boss dd3. last week I was playing through a small speaker set up and noticed a crackling noise when after I hit a note. I was thinking it was just a signal overload because of the speakers I was using.

then I just tried it a second ago on my full rig and the crackling happened on that too. I turned up the delay volume and feedback to find the source and after I hit a note. it starts crackling and rumbling on each delay tap.

I tried different cords and it still did it. I can't see this being a flaw with the model dd3, but maybe a defect on this specific pedal I own.

has anyone else had this issue?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
now that my amp is working agian. i noticed something with my boss dd3. last week I was playing through a small speaker set up and noticed a crackling noise when after I hit a note. I was thinking it was just a signal overload because of the speakers I was using.

then I just tried it a second ago on my full rig and the crackling happened on that too. I turned up the delay volume and feedback to find the source and after I hit a note. it starts crackling and rumbling on each delay tap.

I tried different cords and it still did it. I can't see this being a flaw with the model dd3, but maybe a defect on this specific pedal I own.

has anyone else had this issue?
Any pedals in front of it? Do you have active pickups?

The noise you're describing is 99.9% of the time th epedal not having enough headroom to handle the signal coming into it. I don't know if the DD-3 has an adjustable threshold input - my TC Nova does - but if it doesn't then you either have pedals in front of it that are a bit too loud and causing it to clip, active pickups that are causing it to clip, a flattening battery in the DD-3, or the PSU you are using isn't giving it enough current - or your electric outlet isn't providing as much juice as it should. If it's doing the same in a different place you can rule that out though, so it's either:

a)active pickups
b)pedals in front of it in the chain too liud
c)flat batteries in the DD-3
d)bad PSU

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just tried it without any pedals in front and it still did it. I tried with a battery instead of the powerpack and it still did it.

I do have active pickups. what would be the solution?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would sticking an EQ pedal in front of the delay pedal stop the overloaded signal from the active pickups? or could I lower the pickup, so its not so close to the strings?

its only been 2 weeks and I have 30 days to take it back and get a brand new dd3, but I have a feeling it ain't a faulty pedal.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Man you keep having problems with everything haha. I feel your pain.

But just to rule this out, have you tried moving the pedal around while it's plugged in to see if something's just a loose component inside? There's a very small chance of that being the actual issue, but you never know, gotta test every possible thing.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
would sticking an EQ pedal in front of the delay pedal stop the overloaded signal from the active pickups? or could I lower the pickup, so its not so close to the strings?

its only been 2 weeks and I have 30 days to take it back and get a brand new dd3, but I have a feeling it ain't a faulty pedal.
A compressor would be more use than an EQ pedal as it will lower the overall volume very slightly.

The other thing you could try is simply placing another (buffered) pedal in front of the delay in the signal chain - this may help eliminate the peaks in the signal. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A compressor would be more use than an EQ pedal as it will lower the overall volume very slightly.

The other thing you could try is simply placing another (buffered) pedal in front of the delay in the signal chain - this may help eliminate the peaks in the signal. :)
what do you mean by a buffered pedal? I did have a noise suppressor in front and it still did it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you say "in front of the speakers", do you mean in front of the amp or between the amp and the speakers?
I first noticed it last week at my house when I plugged into my tv. it would start delaying and as the delay fade it started to clip and become static.

then I ran it through my amps effect loop and it did the exact same thing. it doesn't change my tone at all when I activate it. it just sounds like something is over loading the signal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.