Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Иди на х&#1091
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've already done a fair amount of research and gone through so many changes in my build that I'm fairly confident the following list is what I'll end up with. However, I would like any insights any of you might have that I might of missed or never found out. Feel free to suggest other parts or highlight problems with parts on my list and give me reasons why (No "my sister's, father's, friend's, pig's, owner had this motherboard and it sucked").

I will be using this PC primarily for games. I don't use cpu intensive applications (video editing, etc). I will not be overclocking. I want to keep costs as low as possible. Not interested in the H97 chipset (but you can try and convince me).

Inisght on the saphira mouse is particularly appreciated since it's my most obscure part.

Related question: Will games make more use of hyperthreading technology in the future?

CPU: Intel i5 4570
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 dual FTW
Motherboard: ASRock Fatl1ty H87 Performance LGA 1150
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600mHz 16GB (2 sticks)
PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM
HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX (2 in raid 0 and 1 for storage)
Case: Rosewill Challenger
Mouse: Tt eSPORTS saphira

I already have an optical drive, monitor, speakers, wifi card.

edit: I am using one 1920x1080 monitor.

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell 3.2GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54570

GPU
Newegg.com - EVGA 03G-P4-3784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard

Memory
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS2K8G3D1609ES2LX0 - Newegg.com

PSU
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Case
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Mouse
Tt eSPORTS SAPHIRA Mouse - Newegg.com

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
If I were you I'd go for a 4670K if you're set on an i5. I got the 4670K and it's overclocked to 4.4Ghz, but I kind of wish I'd gone for the 4770K now. It depends how future proof you want your build to be.

·
Иди на х&#1091
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not going to miss the 200 mHz for most games. I'm not overclocking.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
No true you won't miss 200, but overclocking so worth it and easy enough to do.

But if you dont want to overclock then that's your choice, but if you can swing it I'd recommend the 4770 then.

·
Иди на х&#1091
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much more reliable are toshiba, hgst, and wd black internal HDD's at the 1TB size?

edit: What is your justification for overclocking a cpu, joel?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
How much more reliable are toshiba, hgst, and wd black internal HDD's at the 1TB size?

I don't have any numbers but for all the computers we've sold at the company I work for only seagate desktop and WD blue drives have failed, not black or re4. toshiba uses an hgst design which is well liked for home-servers and server-side hgst is most reliable by far. I like my WD velociraptors enough, have not had one fail (I have used 450gb and 600gb ones).

·
Иди на х&#1091
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the newegg reviews, it seems like the black and the blue have about the same failure rate with the black being marginally better. I'm not really concerned about DOA because that's an easy return. It's worse when you're 3 months in and get a failure and lose data. I'll just plan on backing up often the first 6 months. I'll go black if I get a failure in this time period or get two DOA's in a row.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

I've found 1 + 2tb drives are good but anything 3tb+ will crap on itself sooner or later.

Also the best thing you can do to improve this is to get an SSD for your games.
i5 is a good CPU even at standard clock, although OC'ing isnt hard to do and is worth it IMO

·
Иди на х&#1091
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems like the GPU bottlenecks games with some exceptions. I've watched some footage of people running my old cpu (i7 920) at 3 ghz with a gtx 780 and they got surprisingly good results (decent arma 3 framerate). I figure the 4570, being more powerful than the 920 at anything 4 cores and less, should be adequate. I usually don't upgrade for a while. I've been rocking the gtx 285 since 2009 and it still runs all games at high settings.

I agree with your HDD sentiment except I think anything over 1TB has a much higher failure rate in the lowest priced drives.

I understand that SSD's boot real fast and can load data real fast but don't give any advantage inside a game. I have too much data I would need accessed to justify the correctly sized drive. I'll probably be getting this on my next build when they start to fully replace HDD's.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
The only thing I think you might want to change is the power supply, Seasonic is a great brand but for SLI you want to get more watts. Also Windows 8 isn't great I'd stick to Windows 7 but if you already have 8 and love it then by all means stick with it.

·
Иди на х&#1091
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, for all the advice guys. I'm posting this from my new computer now and so far it's running good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts