Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, at work, the printers are set up rather oddly. So, since the 2nd comuter at the counter got borked, i have to fix it all. formatted, reinstalled windows, learned how to navigate network systems and do printsharing, all yesterday :lol:

anyways, the one thing i cant get going is the printers within this old dos program. I can print to a visible printer (read: you can see the printer under print settings in the control panel) on the other computer, but there are other printers installed on both computers that you know, print, but i cant see from the control panel. Now, the program locks up if you choose print after ringing a sale, and all the print slots are not filled. i know to use the net use command, and assigning that to other printers makes it print to those printers, and the program stop locking up. I ran the following batch script

Code:
net use lpt1 \\back-comp\ibm
net use lpt2 \\back-comp\hp4100
with fixed it and sent it to other printers (none of which are visable, but clearly there since the script worked and it printed to those printers). but i need to find the other printers names. how do i do this? theyre already set to lpt1 and lpt2 on the other computer. is there like a net detect this shit command or anything? halp?

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
LPT printers are not normally assigned a name. Its just a device at the end of the cable. You can name it anything you want on the computer. What you are looking for is the shared name. That would be under the shared printer properties. If they are not shared they wont be available as a \\computername\printername device.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts