Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Listening to this on a slow day at work. Seriously, what an amazing album, it completely changed my approach to how I record and mix when I heard it, and I've been hooked ever since.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I believe I started it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I still hear new things in the mix when I play this. It hits my player as a whole about once a week or so.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Love this album!:)

It's one of those rare records that actually improves with successive listens; there's always something new I missed before whenever I put it on.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Though, the only thing better Devin Townsend's ever done, I think, are his vocal harmonies on this:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean, that's pretty awesome too, but the thing that blows my mind about his vocals on that one are the fact that the brutality comes out of nowhere. He's singing these gorgeous layered harmonies, and then suddenly one turns into a full-blown scream.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well shit, how have I never listened to this before?
I'll ruin it for you - the rest of the album varies between "pretty good" and "so-so." That song, however, is fucking brilliant. Devon Graves from Dead Soul Tribe, James LaBrie from Dream Theater, and Devin Townsend all on the same track (the rest of the album has a few more heavyweights, not the least of which Mikael Akersfeldt, but the writing isn't as good IMO).

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I greatly prefer Devin's solo material over Strapping Young Lad. I find him over-rated, but this is a pretty cool song.

[action=Zepp] has endured a RIDICULOUS amount of Devin fanboyism, and HATED him for a long time. [/action]

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a shame, because a quick read of wikipedia tells me the concept behind the whole project (not just that album) is pretty cool, and the sort of thing I'd like, but if the music isn't good enough to back it up... :(
Check it out anyway - a lot of it got too poppy and story-centered for me, but you might disagree.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHM500 AU-OBIGO/Q04C1-1.17_PRE_1 MMP/2.0)

Drew said:
That's a shame, because a quick read of wikipedia tells me the concept behind the whole project (not just that album) is pretty cool, and the sort of thing I'd like, but if the music isn't good enough to back it up... :(
Check it out anyway - a lot of it got too poppy and story-centered for me, but you might disagree.
Considering I'm 3/4 through a DVD set of Coheed and Cambria playing their albums start to finish, and saw them live last week, I don't think "too poppy and story-centric" is in my vocabulary :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts