Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first there was Chris Cornell's work with Timbaland...

Next, Scott Weiland, who used to be an amazing singer and frontman. Lately, not so much.

The real question is: did he just get busted lip syncing?

You see him fall off the stage, and it takes a minute to recover, and yet he doesn't miss a single word.

(at about 1:24)

Now, I notice the fall happens between lines of vocals, it could be he just kept singing from the floor, and he waited for a break in the song to get back up on stage, which is what took so long.

On the other hand, you don't even hear a reaction from him at all when he stumbles, and it was kind of right on the end of the line while he was still singing.

So, either he's proved he's lip syncing, or he's proved he's a really solid frontman and nothing throws him off his game.

Either way, it's a pretty hilarious fall :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Busted! :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Barring a brief flash on a couple Velvet Revolver songs ("Fall To Pieces" was awesome), Weiland really stopped being relevant back sometime around Purple. Arguably before, but the songwriting was still there even if he'd lost a lot of power in his voice.

Heroin's a hell of a drug. :/

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've seen them live 3 times, albeit back in their heyday, and Weiland was spot on fantastic live. Hopefully this is him being awesome, and not being, well, un-awesome. :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just trying to decide what was more embarrassing: this fall from the stage, or the last STP single :(

At least there's one bright side to both this video, and the new single, and that's that the band still sounds really solid :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:agreed: DeLeo is tragically underrated.
Man, he's not much of a soloist, but his chordal work is GENIUIS. Have you ever sat down and worked out the changes to Interstate Love Song?

EDIT - this is off memory, so I'm not 100% sure the Bdim7 is right, but:

Code:
|--------------0--0---4--|
|--5--4--2--2--0--0---5--|
|--4--5--1--1--2--1-2-4--|
|--6--6--3--2--2--2-4-6--|
|--4--3--2--1--0--2---7--|
|-----------------0---0--|
Basically, C#m7, G#/C, Bdim7, Bbm7b5, Asus2 and then two forms of E major with a little ascending stab at a passing tone. Fucking awesome stuff - trade the acoustic and rock bass and drums for a set of brushes, an upright, and a hollowbody, and this could be jazz.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Man, he's not much of a soloist, but his chordal work is GENIUIS. Have you ever sat down and worked out the changes to Interstate Love Song?

EDIT - this is off memory, so I'm not 100% sure the Bdim7 is right, but:

Code:
|--------------0--0---4--|
|--5--4--2--2--0--0---5--|
|--4--5--1--1--2--1-2-4--|
|--6--6--3--2--2--2-4-6--|
|--4--3--2--1--0--2---7--|
|-----------------0---0--|
Basically, C#m7, G#/C, Bdim7, Bbm7b5, Asus2 and then two forms of E major with a little ascending stab at a passing tone. Fucking awesome stuff - trade the acoustic and rock bass and drums for a set of brushes, an upright, and a hollowbody, and this could be jazz.
It's actually a C#m chord with a chromatically descending bass line. In our cover band, I just pump the C#m without the bass note, and the other two play diads on the two bass strings. You know, since none of us have gorilla hands. :lol:

I still think the acoustic version of "Plush" is the coolest thing he's ever done. Every single one of those chord changes is just perfect.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
It sounds like his vocals might have been "augmented" but not entirely faked; notice that the vocals seem louder and more present when you can actually see him singing into the mic.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It's actually a C#m chord with a chromatically descending bass line. In our cover band, I just pump the C#m without the bass note, and the other two play diads on the two bass strings. You know, since none of us have gorilla hands. :lol:

I still think the acoustic version of "Plush" is the coolest thing he's ever done. Every single one of those chord changes is just perfect.
99% sure these chords are right, Dave - watch a couple live videos, if they recorded it that way (and they may have, or may have had at least one guitar doing that), they play it live with full chords.

I eventually gave up when I was trying to work the changes out and started watching videos to see if I could get it right that way. :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DeLeo's an interesting player, since half of the albums he does are heavily layered, with smaller guitar parts through smaller amps, and the other half are more "live" with a single guitar part doubled through bigger amps and bigger chords.

Either way, he's gotta work it out live so that it sounds right with just himself and a bass :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I've always loved Stone Temple Pilots and especially like their early albums, even though the guitar tone on them really really sucks (Vasoline anyone? Great song. Horrible horrible guitar tone).

AOA was indeed awesome. Filter-guy can sing his ass off, too. :yesway:
:agreed: I love Richard Patrick's voice. The first two Filter vocals were awesome and the third wasn't bad either.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
So, either he's proved he's lip syncing, or he's proved he's a really solid frontman and nothing throws him off his game.
I'm going to hope it's the latter choice. I don't want to have to lower my opinion of Weiland.

This reminds me... I saw Iron Maiden play a show four or five years ago. While running up a stair case set up on stage, Bruce Dickenson tripped and went flying across the stage and didn't miss a single note. It looked quite painful, too!

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHM500 AU-OBIGO/Q04C1-1.17_PRE_1 MMP/2.0)

Buzz said:
I'm going to hope it's the latter choice. I don't want to have to lower my opinion of Weiland.

This reminds me... I saw Iron Maiden play a show four or five years ago. While running up a stair case set up on stage, Bruce Dickenson tripped and went flying across the stage and didn't miss a single note. It looked quite painful, too!
See, now that I buy as Bruce being awesome without a moment of doubt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts