Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Difference between 2013 and 2012 LP's?

9K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
I was in the market for a new Les paul and was checking out the 2013 and 2012 standards.

I was wondering if there was any signifcant difference between the 2013 and 2012. While my budget can reach the 3k for a LP, I wanna try my best to save as much money as possible, so I wouldn't mind getting a 2012 or a used model in order to shave off that extra 700ish bucks.

So apparently there is a standard and a standard premium plus. Are the differences between these 2 worth the extra 700? Because apparently from the links below I can get a 2013 premium AAA for 2,300. While buying just a regular LP 2013 or 2012 AA can cost up to 3,000. The 2,300 for a AAA premium 2013 seems a little too good to be true, so I wanted some advice from you more seasoned guitarists.

Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Premium AA Electric Guitar Trans Black 88683061786 | eBay

2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium AAA Electric Guitar | eBay

vs

Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Premium AA Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013 Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Much thanks! :metal:

See less See more
#2 ·
The premium usually has a nicer top (although plenty of plain old standards get tops just as nice, and theyre frankly nothing that special usually anyways), and has burstbuckers and some extra electronics.

That said, I wouldn't even consider buying a les paul newer than the early 80s with out playing it first, even if the place was better with returns than kurt. Just too inconsistant for the cash. Some play great but are just tonal dogs, some sounds awesome but play like shit, and some suck. And there are some awesome ones in there. If I were les paul shopping (for gibsons), I'd expect to go play up to 50-100 before I'd find one worth the coin.

Look into a used Heritage. You can probably save a good bit of $, and get a much nicer guitar.

#8 ·
Also check out the PRS 245 and similar models. Close to the price range of a Gibson, but much more consistent and they feel and sound great.

#10 ·
Yeah gibson really is anything BUT king of nice wood these days :lol:

PRS245 would be the closest, and the carvin california singlecut, although the neck is differently its own thing.

Seriously though, look at heritage. It's gibsons built by old gibson employees in the old gibson kalamazoo factory. Awesome guitars. The H140/H150 are more like the standards (H140 is like 1/4" thinner i think), and the H157 is more of a Custom.

1987 Heritage H 140cm Electric Guitar w OHSC H 140 | eBay

#13 ·
I've played more than one of them dude. I'm not hating on the 245 (and I'd like to buy Josh's if I had the spare coin), but they aren't even close. There's a reason that they are $600 new. That's about all they're worth.

One does not simply... Compare a USA made custom Carvin or Les Paul to something mass produced in Korea.

/seanbean

#15 ·
You're missing what Max said. Heritages ARE Les Pauls, they're built by the same guys that built them AT Gibson.

It sounds like the guitar saying Gibson on the headstock is important to you - if so, like everyone has said just make sure you play a bunch of them. The problem with Les Pauls is that you can very easily get a shitty $3500 one. On the flipside, it's possible to get one around a grand that will blow your socks off if that's what you're looking for.

#16 ·
Dude, I'm not talking about the $600 new NON USA 245. I'm talking about the ~$2700 new USA made 245 that used to be around. Sort of like there is the SE custom 24, and the NON SE custom 24, the same thing exists in the 245s :lol:.

But yeah the heritages are probably MORE true to form than what gibson is putting out these days. They're les pauls made by the guys who originally made them, in the place they were originally made, before Norlin shut em down. Read the second paragraph here
more info about norlin - Gibson Guitar Board

Edit: Chris, like this. I guess its the SC245 when its in the USA range. I was really close on price for not having looked in a few years :lol:
PRS SC245 Flame Top (Makena Blue) | Sweetwater.com

Also, OP, I don't think I've ever heard anyone call an SG dark sounding before

#18 ·
Guy asks for buying advice on a Les Paul. Everyone tells him to buy something else. :roll2:

FYI, the price increase from 2012->2013 was just that: a price increase. 2012 LP Standards were massively upgraded from 2011 and prior models (BurstBuckers with good-sounding coil taps and phase reverse switches, compound radius fretboards, great looking tops and lots of colors, better weight relief (more like "real chambering"), asymmetrical '60s neck, locking tuners and TOM and a blower switch).

The 2012 were released to a large amount of fanfare, and then they announced to their dealers that prices were going up some 20-30%. So they built the buzz and then locked in a price increase.

A 2012 LP Standard is a hell of a buy if you can snag one used or old stock, IMO. Incredibly versatile with upgraded hardware but nothing to get in the way of traditional LP feel and performance.

As always, the usual caveats apply regarding "duds" - play lots of LP's on the rack until you find one that feels and sounds good to you. But paying 2013 prices is not going to get you any more guitar.

#19 ·
Personally, I'd pick a USA PRS SC58 over pretty much any Gibson LP at the moment. There's little difference in price between an SC58 and a Les Paul Custom, it has the two part bridge (unlike the SC245), 24.5" scale length (same as the Gibson), and it's pretty much guaranteed to be better built than a modern Gibson.

If you're after something cheaper, check the used SC245s and, if they've hit the market, SC58s.

:2cents:

#24 ·
I couldn't tell you - they're around £2500-2800 in the UK but USA PRS are more expensive over here than they would be at the exchange rate. Same with MESA, Seymour Duncan, etc.

There's a few different models of SC58 as well, I think the "stripped" model was slightly cheaper, although I couldn't tell you why.

#31 ·
#33 ·
I'm not sure. You'd have to check that yourself. The only difference I know of immediately is the wraparound bridge on the SC245 versus the TOM/stoptail setup on in the SC58.

#36 ·
Hmm well if I get a PRS it has gotta be the SC58, which then i'm gonna have to shop around for a good price. (the singlecut one is good right?)

If I don't end up getting the SC58, then I'll settle for the gibson LP standard, I'm not too sure wether or not I want it traditional because I like the newer necks in all honesty.

What about a 2012 LP custom? Pre Owned Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom Vos Rosewood Maduro 2012 | eBay

Something like that?

For what its worth, I'm gonna be using bare knuckles pickups In whatever baby I end up getting

#43 ·
This dude's currently looking to buy a Gibson and a diezel vh4. I think he can afford BK pickups if he wants them.

Regardless I'll repeat again what's been said about a dozen times now, don't buy a Gibson regardless of without playing it first. Probably less than one out of ten is worth the 2 grand you'll be forking over for it. In fact to date, I've found the Studios and faded series to be considerably more consistent than the Standard and Custom LPs.

#47 ·
Regardless I'll repeat again what's been said about a dozen times now, don't buy a Gibson regardless of without playing it first. Probably less than one out of ten is worth the 2 grand you'll be forking over for it. In fact to date, I've found the Studios and faded series to be considerably more consistent than the Standard and Custom LPs.
Quoting for emphasis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.