Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's the situation: I've finally managed to sell my old Warlock, which has been on the market for over a year at this point, and the original plan was to sell that and then my Deliverance 60 head to fund a Sig:X. Now I'm playing with the idea of getting a Blackstar Club 40 for a practice amp for home, since my old Peavey Bandit has some problems and I can get a good price on one brand new through work.

Here's why I'm torn: The Deliverance is awesome, and I don't really want to get rid of it...even though the 2nd channel on the Sig:X is nearly identical. The main reason for me to get the Sig:X would be the dedicated clean channel. I'd probably use the 2nd channel most of the time (including for some clean parts, so I can continue doing things exactly as I have been with the D60), but there are a couple songs where there are parts when I (and my bandmates) wish I had a dedicated clean channel, because my cleans are a little too quiet relative to the other instruments. Since I've only got the one channel, I can't really do anything about that, short of having a second amp to switch to for cleans, but that's a huge pain in the ass to use for like one part each in two songs.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'd upgrade the gigging amp.

You can find bandits used for dirt cheap :yesway;

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Id upgrade your head, i think having a clean channel is very important; unless you want to gig with two heads.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
As much as I love Blackstar, I think I agree with Budda. The gigging amp is probably more important.

Plus, 40W tube isn't exactly "bedroom quiet" :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
you can get the venue 40 sounding damn good at bedroom level

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
My Invader 150 sounds great at bedroom level, so the old "tubes dont sound good at low volume" thing aint as prevalent in all amps it seems :)

If I were you, I'd upgrade the head. The Sig:X is a thing of beauty as you already know, and I'm annoyed that I didn't have the money at the time to buy it off my old guitarist when he sold his. The fact it'll give you a lot of advantages live too just seals it for me.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Screw the Venue 40. Get a Tech-21 Trademark 30, man. It's a lot cheaper, sounds sick at bedroom volumes, and will leave you a good amount of cash left over to upgrade your gigging amp.

Hell, the Behringer knock-off is even cheaper, and has a dedicated clean channel.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Screw the Venue 40. Get a Tech-21 Trademark 30, man. It's a lot cheaper, sounds sick at bedroom volumes, and will leave you a good amount of cash left over to upgrade your gigging amp.

Hell, the Behringer knock-off is even cheaper, and has a dedicated clean channel.
But Daddy's doesn't carry those, so I don't get an employee discount! :p

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
But Daddy's doesn't carry those, so I don't get an employee discount! :p
:shrug: I grabbed mine for $180 second hand. Do you really think you can snag a Venue 40 for less than that WITH your discount?

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely not! That said, I've heard that the lower-wattage Trademark amps don't really do metal sounds, but I haven't actually tried them (or the Behringer). I know I like the Blackstar, though.

I think what I'm gonna do is borrow a Sig:X and try it a band context to make this decision. I've only tried it once before and that was just on its own, cranked up in a practice room a year and a half or so ago.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
That said, I've heard that the lower-wattage Trademark amps don't really do metal sounds,
The Trademark 60, sure. The Trademark 30? Fuck that, man. Even Chris dug the shit out of the thing, and you know how he likes his high gain metal sounds. :metal:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Do practice amps need to sound good? for Practice I've got a little 15w crate jobber that I run my TS7 into. Well, that, or a headphone jack on das engl.

I guess the important question here would be "do you plan on using the Venue 40 for things that aren't practicing at home?" If the answer is no, ask "Is X dollars worth sounding good, to myself, at home, not gigging?"

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I've used the behringer tech 21 copy... holy mother of fuck I fell in love, I wanted to record it and play veil of maya riffs all night :lol: - it can do more then that as well. plenty of gain and volume and tone!

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do practice amps need to sound good? for Practice I've got a little 15w crate jobber that I run my TS7 into. Well, that, or a headphone jack on das engl.

I guess the important question here would be "do you plan on using the Venue 40 for things that aren't practicing at home?" If the answer is no, ask "Is X dollars worth sounding good, to myself, at home, not gigging?"
For me, yes. It does need to sound good at home, because when I'm not happy with how a guitar or amp sounds/feels, I don't want to play. Feel is huge, here, too. I also don't want to feel like I need to use my modded TS7 all the time with my home amp, because whenever possible, I like to just plug straight into my amp...and that's something I like about the Club 40.

Another important thing (to me...some of you guys might feel otherwise) is the location of the controls. Since I keep my practice amp under my computer desk, I like to have the controls on the front of the amp, rather than the top...in part so I can reach them more easily, and in part so that I can rest my leg on top when I'm just sitting at the computer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts