Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Jackson JS32RR from GC and I'm now at the point where:
1) I am going to need a new amp sooner or later, the one I'm currently using is a Peavey Rage 158 and it's only 15W so I'd like a larger one. I have no clue as to what would work best for me, so I'm asking you.
2) I want to get a more thrash metal tone from guitar and amp and I don't exactly know the best way to get it.

What can you guys suggest for an amp? Must be a combo, roughly 100 watts, and less than $500. Will that alone get me my thrash tone or should I get new pickups and/or an effects pedal as well? I am open to other suggestions as well. If you would like more info just ask, I just provided what I though was good enough.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Do you plan on gigging? Do you need separate clean and dirty channels, or just one good tear-your-face-off sound?

If you don't mind getting mic'd at gigs and only need one good tear-your-face-off sound, try the Jet City JCA2112 20W tube combo. Loud (would probably eat a 100W solid-state head for breakfast), aggressive, and with a tubescreamer or DS-1 will do all kinds of metal.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Do you plan on gigging? Do you need separate clean and dirty channels, or just one good tear-your-face-off sound?

If you don't mind getting mic'd at gigs and only need one good tear-your-face-off sound, try the Jet City JCA2112 20W tube combo. Loud (would probably eat a 100W solid-state head for breakfast), aggressive, and with a tubescreamer or DS-1 will do all kinds of metal.
Truth :agreed: mine has no problem keeping up with drums and or a half stack :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

5150/6505 combo. Used.

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to be playing more than just metal, so do the 5150/6505 combo or XXX have a good clean channel as well and do you think I will be able to get the tone I want from any of those by themselves or will I need anything else?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The clean channel on both the 5150/6505 are pretty good. not as good as the ones on the 5150II/6505+, but did they even make 5150/6505 combos until recently?

Grab a 5150II/6505+ 2x12 second hand, and prepare to shake your house down. :lol: They are awesome.

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 5150/6505 combo sounds like it would be great from what I have read so far. Do you think I should change out the pickups or should the amp get me a good thrash tone? I have a Strat Squire that I can use for music besides metal, so being limited tone wise on my Rhoads isn't a big deal to me.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
The clean channel on both the 5150/6505 are pretty good. not as good as the ones on the 5150II/6505+, but did they even make 5150/6505 combos until recently?

Grab a 5150II/6505+ 2x12 second hand, and prepare to shake your house down. :lol: They are awesome.
Yeah, the 5150 2x12s have been around basically as long as the heads have been, but the issue was/is that they're heavy as fuckin' hell, and so the head + a cab was ALWAYS a better choice, though it costs more. The new 6505+ 1x12 changed all that. It's an amazing little combo, and if I didn't have my triumph 60 already, I'd be trying to get my paws on one as fast as a drunk college chick :agreed:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts