Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Apologies for being a little rusty after a week and a half away from a guitar (and it's bloody HOT in Boston today, so I only did a couple takes before deciding this was good enough), but I'm really impressed by how well this pickup nails the SRV vibe in the middle position of my Strat so I wanted to do something to share that.

At some point I need to do a lower gain example as well - I really like how this pickup sounds and responds, and I'm normally not a middle position guy.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the sympathy bump, guys. :lol:

It's nt a perfect vintage singlecoil, but it's a prettygood compromise, IMO. Neither this nor the Area '67 holds its own with the respective Fender variants clean, but with mid gain they become awfully close, and with higher gain sounds IMO the Areas hold up quite a bit better.

I do want to try some of the Bareknuckle singlecoils, as well as Wolfetones. One day. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
SD Quarter Pounder!

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
rusty or not your playing is fucking excellent and that tone is fucking awesome.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SD Quarter Pounder!
I really don't think that's the pickup for me, though. Aren't they kind of, well, dark?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I really don't think that's the pickup for me, though. Aren't they kind of, well, dark?
No. While they're not as bright as a vintage single coil, they've got plenty of top end with a little more midrange balance so they sound pretty good with gain. They're definitely thicker sounding but have plenty of "clang."

I have a pair in my ESP Mirage, and I like them quite a bit. I like bright guitars, too. (this picture is before I installed the JB/QP/QP combo)

Clips are pretty tough to figure out online, but this is pretty reasonable:

Strat® Replacement Pickups - Seymour Duncan Audio Samples

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. While they're not as bright as a vintage single coil, they've got plenty of top end with a little more midrange balance so they sound pretty good with gain. They're definitely thicker sounding but have plenty of "clang."

I have a pair in my ESP Mirage, and I like them quite a bit. I like bright guitars, too. (this picture is before I installed the JB/QP/QP combo)

Clips are pretty tough to figure out online, but this is pretty reasonable: Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound SSL-4 (calibrated set) - YouTube

Strat® Replacement Pickups - Seymour Duncan Audio Samples
Maybe it's his settings, but none of those really sound like a Strat to me. :shrug:

EDIT - though, this one is better, and that's an amp I've played before and was pretty underwhelmed with so more power to him.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, that amp just sounds awesome for everything but what I needed it for. :(

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, that amp just sounds awesome for everything but what I needed it for. :(
It's the best hard rock amp I've ever played, and better than most for shred, blues, prog, and I suspect would be pretty damned good for pop and country in a pinch, too. It's just not as tight and punishing as a Triple. For me that's totally a fair tradeoff (let's be honest, I don't exactly have a tight and punishing right hand either), but I totally get why you sold it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts