Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so right off the bat my first impression when I plugged them into the Roadster was the output really wasn't what I was expecting. I figured it was psychological, and over the last couple days I've been adjusting them and trying to get them balanced between being close enough to the strings for good output, without the tone suffering (they seem to get brighter and a bit sharper on the attack when they're close).

However, last night I finally did what I should have done right away, and A/B'd them with the singlecoil in my Blaze (a custom-would Frank Falbo job, not unusally hot) and those in my T7 Texan (stock Agile). And, the Cruisers were actually lower output than either. This means my initial impression that they seemed to have less output than the lace sensors was probably right, too. Considering they're mini-humbuckers, that seems strange to me.

So, is something funky with my wiring, or are they just not any hotter than a medium output singlecoil? I know a few other guys on the board have them... They sound fine, but I'd like a little more output to balance with the bridge humbucker, and so there isn't a hugely pronounced output change when I pick up my Strat.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I think the side-by-side pickups are just like that, a little lower output. I know I end up using a "bridge" model in the neck to go with hot humbuckers, usually.

Also keep in mind that humbuckers cancel a few frequencies along with the hum, and in that way a single can sound louder than a hum.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, this is the Cruiser bridge. So it's totally normal for a bridge mini'bucker to have output no hotter than a pretty vintage set of pickups? Remember, the gold lace sensors are their answer to a 50's style singlecoil, and they were hotter than these.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
according to the DImarzio website they have a DC Resistance of 11.62 k which is kind of in the upper range of their single coils well except for the Hs2/3/yjm ones (the AT1 humbucker is 16.5k)

DC resistance isnt the be all of figuring out a pickups output tho but a lot of people use that to gauge output.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Okay, let's look at some of Dimarzio's pickups, and some specs:

True Velvet Bridge:
Output- 142
DC Resistance: 6.49k

Cruiser Bridge:
Output- 143
DC Resistance: 5.75k

Fast Track 2
Output- 321
DC Resistance: 18.07k

LiquiFire
Output- 300
DC Resistance: 10.75k

PAF Pro
Output- 300
DC Resistance: 8.4k

Now, I usually use a Fast Track 2 in the neck of a guitar with a hot bridge pickup, because it's closer to the type of neck humbucker I'd use. The Cruiser bridge is very much like a humcancelling vintage single coil in comparison. I don't think it's really going to be very hot or high output based on the spec.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting... Well, at least I know I didn't fuck something up, then. :lol: Thanks, that helps a ton!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts