Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here had experience with this setup. I found out that one of the other stores in my chain has a DA7 neck model in stock, and I noticed that Dimarzio's website mentions that it can also be a good bridge pickup. The guitar in question is an LTD M-207 with a basswood body.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Looking at the eq diagrams, the only problem i'd see is matching the DA with whatever you put in the neck. It's got reduced bass and mids for clarity in the neck position, but the bridge position would accentuate that lack of bass. You might have trouble balancing the tones of the DA and a different neck PU (especially a different dimarzio, as all of them seem to have more bass then the DA neck).

Just an observation. Maybe you've already thought of this, so disregard if you have.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I emailed DiMarzio to ask their thoughts on it, here's what they told me:

The DP719 is definitely loud enough to work as a bridge pickup. It's a little brighter than a traditional bridge pickup but it is very clear and articulate. You also have the 30 Day Return Policy on new pickups.

I think it would be good in a Basswood body with a Rosewood board. Basswood tends to sound compressed and mushy when driven; the DP719 will bring a lot of clarity and articulation to a Basswood body. Ultimately, installing it and checking it out, is the only way to really decide.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just installed it. First impression is that it's pretty badass with distortion. Clean, it sounds a bit nasal (not that I ever use the bridge pickup for clean, but...). Tried raising the polepieces on the coil closer to the neck, seemed to help a bit, but I really need to try this through a real amp before I make any definite judgements. Also, there's a lot of pick squawk on the high strings.

Another factor here may be that I'm trying a different brand of strings than I normally use (Dunlop instead of my usual D'Addario), and they're different from what my ideal gauges would be for this tuning (ADGCFAD).

Also considering trying a 250kΩ volume pot, which I think may tame the bridge pickup a bit, but I'm worried about what it might do to the neck.

Again, I haven't had the chance to try it through a real amp yet.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Also considering trying a 250kΩ volume pot, which I think may tame the bridge pickup a bit, but I'm worried about what it might do to the neck.

Again, I haven't had the chance to try it through a real amp yet.
Do you ever use your tone knob? If not, rewire it so the 250k pot goes to the bridge, then use a 500k for the neck pup in the place where the tone knob is.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you ever use your tone knob? If not, rewire it so the 250k pot goes to the bridge, then use a 500k for the neck pup in the place where the tone knob is.
I thought of this idea in the car on the way home from work tonight, and I may do just that. I'm gonna start off by seeing if the 250k pot does what i need it to do, though.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought of this idea in the car on the way home from work tonight, and I may do just that. I'm gonna start off by seeing if the 250k pot does what i need it to do, though.
Did this tonight, will try it through an amp tomorrow to see if it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts