Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
thats me! i'm going to be picking up a set of these for my intrepid. as it will be a very long time til i can afford a nicer set.

has anybody had the chance to use these yet?

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe Bulb's got a set, no idea if he's given them a test yet.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Overheard at DiMarzio:

"Those 8-string players sure do like EMGs."

"Yeah, but that could be because they're pretty much the only production 8-string pickups out there."

"Nah... it's really because they like EMGs. You know what we should do?"

"No, what?"

"We should put out an 8-string version of OUR pickups that sound like EMGs."

"Don't you think they might like something other than the EMG sound?"

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol:

I love D-A's. These actually make me tempted to pick up a cheap 8 in a longer scale (is there anything other than the Agile?) and slap them in there.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Talk to Shan-man about the Schecter Damien 8. I think it's 26.5" scale, basswood, bolt-on, available in black... You'd like it... If you can get past the rosewood board CQ-kiss-of-death.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You're SOL unless you pick up a 28.625" or 30" Agile then. Or throw lots of money at Sherman.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
That's a decent price for what they are. :yesway:

Overheard at DiMarzio:

"Yeah, but that could be because they're pretty much the only production 8-string pickups out there."

"Nah... it's really because they like EMGs. You know what we should do?"

"No, what?"

"We should put out an 8-string version of OUR pickups that sound like EMGs."

"Don't you think they might like something other than the EMG sound?"

I love D-A's. These actually make me tempted to pick up a cheap 8 in a longer scale (is there anything other than the Agile?) and slap them in there.
I forget where I read this, but what I heard was that the DA8s are completely new pickups that weren't based on and don't necessarily sound anything like the DAs they're named after. :shrug:

And at 27" avoiding Agile, I think you're pretty much looking at either a 2228 or a Carpenter sig. Any longer will probably have to be a custom or an Agile.

Edit: Apparently the RGA8 is 27". If it's on par with the 7321 like I've heard, though, you might be better off with an Agile. Sorry to say I haven't actually tried one.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I'm stealing that. :yesway:

I'm with Tom... RGA8, and the one I played felt much better than an RG7321. (ie. the fretwork was clean on the edges of the board and it didn't feel "cheapy" in my hands.) :2c:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROIDX)

shannon said:
Naw, 27" or more. 26.5 is the flub-zone.
Dude, you're nuts. Try it. :rofl:
He has. Twice.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROIDX)

He has. Twice.
Really? Strange. Randy's brother in law's Damien 8 was tuned to low E and I could chug on that like hell and it was still tight. :shrug: The Aftermath in it might have had something to do with that.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude, you're nuts. Try it. :rofl:
I've had two 8's sir, a 2228 and an RGA8. High gain metal on a 26.5" low string doesn't work for me. 27" didn't either, to be honest. Yeah, if you delicately pluck it it's fine, but who does that playing shit in tunings that low? :lol:

(Granted, the RGA's pickups would make a 55" scale sound terrible, but I digress)

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I've had two 8's sir, a 2228 and an RGA8. High gain metal on a 26.5" low string doesn't work for me. 27" didn't either, to be honest. Yeah, if you delicately pluck it it's fine, but who does that playing shit in tunings that low? :lol:

(Granted, the RGA's pickups would make a 55" scale sound terrible, but I digress)
yeah agiles are going to be your best best. also, if you change your mind and don't mind trying another 26.5, the omen 8 is one of the cheapest ones out right now

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought the 2228 was a really, really nice guitar. It's just that, like noodles, I grew up playing 80's speed metal so my pick attack is a sledgehammer on the low strings. I've no doubt that others can pull it off (Naren tuned his 7 to F# with a .58 or something like that), but I can't. :lol:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
I thought the 2228 was a really, really nice guitar. It's just that, like noodles, I grew up playing 80's speed metal so my pick attack is a sledgehammer on the low strings. I've no doubt that others can pull it off (Naren tuned his 7 to F# with a .58 or something like that), but I can't. :lol:
I grew up with the same 80s speed metal background & cut my teeth for 10 yrs on a guitar with 13s in E tuning! :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts