Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running DA's in an Ash guitar?

Because Nate is the man, I have a pair of cream colored D7's, and I'm torn between putting them in my 2027 (Mahogany) or my Sherman (Ash), and leaning towards the 'Sherm.

They may be too bright for Ash, though...

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm puzzled as to why you'd want to pull the Blackouts from the 2027 and put D-Activators in there, which are supposedly almost the same thing, but passive. :scratch:

Not sure how they'd sound in Ash, but i would agree with your suspicion that they might be too bright.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I tried DA7s in a Loomis for like 30 min - way too trebly and thin. They were out really quick. Not sure if it'll be the same as the ash used in the loomis vs. your sherm is totally diff. They'd cut better in the mahogany 2027 but then they're very similar to the blackouts minus a bit of output power.

:2c:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm puzzled as to why you'd want to pull the Blackouts from the 2027 and put D-Activators in there, which are supposedly almost the same thing, but passive. :scratch:
Nah. I had DA's in my 1527, and I have the BO's in my 2027. They're definitely not the same thing.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Well, that's also basswood vs. mahogany. I'm curious to find out how different the DAs are from Blackouts in the same guitar.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that's also basswood vs. mahogany. I'm curious to find out how different the DAs are from Blackouts in the same guitar.
True enough. I might just stick Blazes in the 2027 and call it a day. :lol: I like them in everything.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
The Blaze Bridge sounds great in a 2027.

Only reason I ditched it and went with an EVO in mine is I play in a band, and needed more cut. But I loved the overall tone.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I played Kevan's RG-GEAR which is mahogany with Evos and it sounded devastating. I know the Evo-7 is a bit of a different beast, but it might be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I played Kevan's RG-GEAR which is mahogany with Evos and it sounded devastating. I know the Evo-7 is a bit of a different beast, but it might be worth a try.
I had an Evo7 in my old 2027, and it DID slay. The thing just screamed.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I was going to have D-Activators put in my Sii-7, but I sent Mike my Wolfetone rewinds instead. They were sitting around here for months not being used, so I figured I better do something with them :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Im wondering if d activators were designed for a maple neck thru with mahogany wings cause those pickups sort of made the debut in the Ibanez Xiphos. Not that they wont sound amazing in anything else but maybe they sound best in a maple/mahog guitar? In addition, the only guitar I actually like a 707 in is my Loomis.

I have D activators in my 2127X. Sounds great. I removed them from my RG7620M BOL so I could install Blackouts in my RG7620M BOL. The blackouts are sort of too boomy for a mahogany bodied guitar IMO cause one thing they dont lack is bass. Maybe if it was an extended scale it might tighten it up a bit cause they sounded better in the 26.5" scale Schecter ATX I had for a brief period but then again that guitar has an ebony fretboard which for me makes a big difference in tone and attack compared to rosewood.

After having both Blackouts and d activators in my RG7620M BOL, Id say the d activators sounded better in that particular guitar and Im an EMG 81-7 lover if that means anything.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
What's sad is that all it would have taken was a quick PM and I'd have owned that guitar. :(
I know. Hell, I might have even tried to buy it back. :/

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know. Hell, I might have even tried to buy it back. :/
I was sure that me saying "Hey, when you sell this, I will buy it." about 300 times to him that day would have had an impact. Even with his upcharge. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts