Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He went to Ormsby Guitars.

FB Post:

There comes a time in life where you have to make a tough decision, and this is one of those times. After 22 years with Ibanez Guitars I'm sadly saying goodbye, but the time has come to move on to a new home at Ormsby Guitars

Let's start from the beginning. During the Demanufacture world tour in 1996, Ibanez approached me about using their 7-string Universe guitar. Instantly I was hooked on the new creative cutting-edge genre-defining design of the 7-string guitar. It worked perfectly for me because I was tuning my 6-string @ESP Guitars down to B standard and lower. The string tension was so much better on the 7-string and it all just made sense to me.

In 1996-97 I forced EMG Pickups to make the first 7-string active pickup. Using an active bass pickup case for a 7-string guitar pickup worked perfectly, which was named the Soapbar mount. It became the industry standard 707. Then a little while later the DC81-7.
Ten years after that I helped Seymour Duncan design their first active Blackout pickup, and then later we designed my signature pickup, the Retribution.

In 2014, after being with Ibanez for 17+ years I finally got my first signature guitar, the DCM100. Most people felt I deserved a signature guitar many years before that, but I was just happy I finally got one. Unfortunately in late 2017 my guitar was discontinued for legal reasons beyond all of our control. Twenty-two years is a long time to be with one brand but Ibanez has stood beside me through all my ups and downs. I want to thank Ibanez and its parent company Hoshino for all the amazing custom guitars that you've made me over the years. Everyone in the LA Custom Shop has been so nice and super supportive on all my endeavours. I want everyone at Ibanez to know that I appreciate all the years together. The fun, the music and the memories: Mike Orrigo, Tak Hosono, Alex Kerk, Rocky Oda, Happy Yoshida and Mike Taft, thank you.

Moving on to Ormsby Guitars

I became friends with Perry Ormsby a couple of years ago at NAMM and I asked him for a guitar. He sent it over right away and instantly I fell in love with it. The way I felt when I picked up that first Ibanez 7-string is the same way I felt when I picked up my first very well-crafted multiscale guitar from Ormsby. I was really blown away how easy it was to play.I'm always looking to improve and innovate, and Perry is absolutely on the same page. I look forward to collaborating with Ormsby on creating amazing signature guitars. At this years 2019 NAMM convention we will be displaying two different models at the Ormsby booth #2841 in Hall D. Come by, say hi and pick them up and try them out for yourself.
- Dino Cazares

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:dgaf:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Man, his Ibanez deal must've been absolute shit if Ormsby js offering him anything even remotely comparable.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
TL;DR
"I did this, I did that, now I'm with Ormsby"

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Man, his Ibanez deal must've been absolute shit if Ormsby js offering him anything even remotely comparable.
That or no one really GAF about Fear Factory anymore (or both). That was my first thought too.

Reactions: Adieu

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
DGAF but what were the “legal issues”?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

In 1996-97 I forced EMG Pickups to make the first 7-string active pickup. Using an active bass pickup case for a 7-string guitar pickup worked perfectly, which was named the Soapbar mount. It became the industry standard 707. Then a little while later the DC81-7.
Ten years after that I helped Seymour Duncan design their first active Blackout pickup, and then later we designed my signature pickup, the Retribution.

In 2014, after being with Ibanez for 17+ years I finally got my first signature guitar, the DCM100. Most people felt I deserved a signature guitar many years before that, but I was just happy I finally got one. Unfortunately in late 2017 my guitar was discontinued for legal reasons beyond all of our control. Twenty-two years is a long time to be with one brand but Ibanez has stood beside me through all my ups and downs. I want to thank Ibanez and its parent company Hoshino for all the amazing custom guitars that you've made me over the years. Everyone in the LA Custom Shop has been so nice and super supportive on all my endeavours. I want everyone at Ibanez to know that I appreciate all the years together. The fun, the music and the memories: Mike Orrigo, Tak Hosono, Alex Kerk, Rocky Oda, Happy Yoshida and Mike Taft, thank you.
What a modest man. I love the little Trumpian aside of "many people felt I deserved one for many years before that.". :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
What a modest man. I love the little Trumpian aside of "many people felt I deserved one for many years before that.". :lol:
:lol: These bits stuck out for me too, but then he's never really been known for his humility, let's be honest.

My favourite Dino-ism is from an interview where he said Dimebag was always trying to copy his tone. He meant it in a harmless way, but it still made me fall off my chair.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Unfortunately in late 2017 my guitar was discontinued for legal reasons beyond all of our control.
This seems... odd. I can't imagine what legal issues would cause them to discontinue it. Not that I pay much attention to him these days, but I'd guess that a ~£2k signature model for someone who isn't terribly relevant anymore probably didn't shift many units and that is more like to be the cause of it being discontinued.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Ray and COW apparently going after anything and everything that was related to FF (his sig Ibby apparently had ties to FF, not solely to him).
A lot of people certainly don't give a fuck enough to post in this thread though :shrug:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
:lol: These bits stuck out for me too, but then he's never really been known for his humility, let's be honest.

My favourite Dino-ism is from an interview where he said Dimebag was always trying to copy his tone. He meant it in a harmless way, but it still made me fall off my chair.
He kept it tastefully humble here, stopping just short of telling the true story about how the Ibanez guitar brand was formed in the early 20th when Spanish Luthier Salvador Ibanez awoke one morning from a prophetic dream in which he was shown a future in which he sells his name to a Japanese company so the Japanese company can spend 30+ years perfecting their art so they may some day make a guitar for the greatest player of all time, the apex of guitar evolution.

He also left out the part where he discovered magnetism.

Also, the bizarre part where he went out of his way to tag ESP guitars just to be like, "I stopped using you guys because you weren't good enough" and then went on to explain how the 25.5" scale length Ibanez used on its early 7 strings is vastly superior to the 25.5" ESP scale length they used on their '90s guitars he was playing.

That was a classy move tagging ESP there. I'm sure they were flattered being publicly tagged to gain some recognition as "The brand that wasn't cutting edge enough for Dino Cazares, but he charitably used anyways". He pulled them out of obscurity there.

He nicely rounded it off by reminding us of his burning need to innovate. Presumably for the good of all us peasants incapable of innovation.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Was he implying that Dimebag didn't come up with his shit tone all on his own?

Reactions: Adieu
1 - 20 of 84 Posts