Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge Dino and Fear Factory fan. I've never, until recently, considered buying a 7 string but there are so many guys doing some badass work on 7s: Dino, Ola, Merrow, etc. I'm thinking about getting an RG7421 (I hate trems) and I know I'll have to at least upgrade the bridge PUP. I want to get that crazy aggressive and tight rhythm like Dino but I don't want to do actives. Is there a similar passive that'll retain that tight low end?

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
There's plenty of pickups on the market that will retain a tight lowend. What's your budget like for pickups? Reason I ask is cause there's a range in price depending on what you want. Dimarzio I would say a D'Activator 7 it acts like a Active but with the dynamics of a passive. I'm not sure what would be the Seymour Duncan version so I'll let somebody else recommend something from them. If you don't mind spending a chunk of change the Bare Knuckle Black Hawk will work for you. It does the same as the Dimarzio where it acts as an active but retains the dynamics of a passive.

Here's a video of Art Using the Dimarzio D'Activator pickups.

Here's a video of Nolly doing a Comparison of Alnico and Ceramic versions of the Black Hawk.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Just get actives. That's pretty much the key to Dino's sound.

There was a time in the mid '90s when Dino switched to passives, and it didn't sound that good, at least IMO.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm hoping to stay in the ballpark of $100 for the bridge.

I've heard good things about D'Activators. Never got to play one though.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
for 100 dollars stick to Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, and EMG. Bare Knuckle is like 150 a pickup

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
This is like those threads on the BKP Forum where people say "I want to sound just like Killswitch Engage, Trivium and Machine Head, recommend me some BKP's!". The response should always be met with "The best BKP's are the ones that use batteries and are made by EMG".

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
This is like those threads on the BKP Forum where people say "I want to sound just like Killswitch Engage, Trivium and Machine Head, recommend me some BKP's!". The response should always be met with "The best BKP's are the ones that use batteries and are made by EMG".
I didn't want to say it, because I didn't want to be the resident actives defendant, so thanks for taking that bullet :lol:

However, 100% bang on here. You can't say you love Dino's tone but hate actives. If you hate the feel of them then that's different, but to not use them on some philosophical level is a shame, when you know you already like what they can do!

·
Registered
702 Posts
DiMarzio D Activator will sound very much like an active pickup, despite being passive.

I would look into the passive-sized EMG and Seymour Duncan pickups out there. Dino helped develop the 707 and the Blackouts.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
If you really don't want to do actives, the Evo is the best shot in basswood in my experience. Honesty though, Phase I Blackouts is the obvious first choice. They don't do the 707 in a passive housing, so you'd have to go for an 85-7H

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I didn't want to say it, because I didn't want to be the resident actives defendant, so thanks for taking that bullet :lol:
I beat both of you. :flex: But yeah, if you want that tone, go EMG or Blackout.

And speaking of that, which era FF are we talking? First 2 albums are 81, Obsolete and Digimortal are 707DC (which the EMG 85-7xH will be the closest thing to), and the last 2 are Duncan Blackout. If you want the best of all 3, the Blackout EMTYs will be the best bet.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never said I hate actives. I actually really like emgs. I said I hate tremolos. Reading comprehension? I really don't want to do a $200 emg swap in a $400 guitar.

A 7 string is an experiment for me and I don't want to wrap up major bucks in this in case I don't like it.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
"I don't want to do actives", while asking for advice on how to get active pick-up tone is usually;
A: Indicative of a dislike for actives
B: Silly

Also, Phase I Blackouts can be had second hand ridiculously cheap.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I never said I hate actives. I actually really like emgs. I said I hate tremolos. Reading comprehension?
You know, asking for help and then replying in this sort of snippy manner is not going to win you any friends.

I think it's safe to say that most of the members here are quite capable of reading, and you've received a good deal of constructive suggestions. You'll catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was trying to avoid the active route because they can be pricey and i wasn't sure how extensive the mods to the guitar would be. Having seen now they can be fairly cheap, how well will those install? Mods required?

Thanks guys.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
They're solderless and only require a pot change which is very easy to do.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts