Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm biamping in the Fractal, with an SVT (SV Bass 1) and a JCM800 (Brit 800 #34). The second amp was a 5150 at first, but the direct sound was a bit fizzy with it. Instead of dialing it in (lol) I just thought... What would Lemmy do?

Also, playing bass cleanly is hard. I spent all day yesterday working on this track, and a big portion of it was getting the bass to sound good, and most of *that* was just me trying to clean-up my shitty performance :lol:.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Getting great bass tones is an artform, and I have discovered Im at finger painting :lol:.

I'll check out the clip after dinner. Do you have an x-over block to send the lows to svt and highs to the jcm800, or did I just miss that part?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frequency response nature of the amp models themselves is enough crossover for me :)

I did try that, though, and it was pretty weak. I also tried dialing the lo/hi roll-offs on the cab sim blocks, also to less than stellar results. So, I decided to just run them as they come, and BAM. Sex was achieved :lol:

Also...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
get rid of the mixers. have each one come out of it's own output and give yourself the option of mixing after in your daw
I forget why I put them in there, I think to do the thing you're suggesting :lol:

I need to find a tutorial on running stereo output of this thing! Running both into the DAW and being able to mix between them would be awesome!

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
i have recently started down the road to a good filthy but solid bass tone for recording. I'm finding it much harder to get something that sounds goo laid down in a track vs something that just sounds good in the room/band mix.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I forget why I put them in there, I think to do the thing you're suggesting :lol:

I need to find a tutorial on running stereo output of this thing! Running both into the DAW and being able to mix between them would be awesome!
You can do that easily, along with a third output for the DI. Use the 1/4" output 1 and 2 for your stereo outs, and the USB for the DI. Then rule the world.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can do that easily, along with a third output for the DI. Use the 1/4" output 1 and 2 for your stereo outs, and the USB for the DI. Then rule the world.
Well, I figured out how to run stereo last night... I only have one XLR running from the Fractal to my interface, so I instead just changed my interface within Reaper from the Focusrite to the Fractal, but then I get no inputs from the Focusrite :lol:

And, I actually reverted back to a mono signal for now. It was super cool being able to do volume trimming of just the crunchy-side of the bass tone, and I'm definitely going to put this in my back pocket, but for now I'm still working on the rhythms and parts of the song. It's just a fucking awesome bonus that my scratch tracks sound a tenth as good as they do. Hurray for Reaper, Fractal, and Superior Drummer! :D

And yeah, the DI+reamping thing... that wouldn't be a bad trick to figure out soon, as well...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a good grind!

How's it sound when you add guitar(s)?
Thanks! Not too bad... when I re-recorded this track, I used a Mk2C+ model, and I think it sounds a bit thinner than my "usual" Recto model. With the Recto model, it seemed to mix well back when I had the 5150 in there, where the CHONK of the Recto sat right where the 5150 fizz and covered it up, maybe :lol:

I think this weekend I'll be redoing it, I'll have to post up the whole thing next time :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to ZIP it (and I zipped it good) :yesway:

FYI, I only really have it setup for 2 scenes. 1 is just the SVT, and 2 adds in the 800. I think I was fiddling with the other scenes with more cabs and maybe the drive blocks on/off, but so far 1 and 2 are where its at :)

Attachments

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I had to ZIP it (and I zipped it good) :yesway:

FYI, I only really have it setup for 2 scenes. 1 is just the SVT, and 2 adds in the 800. I think I was fiddling with the other scenes with more cabs and maybe the drive blocks on/off, but so far 1 and 2 are where its at :)
Well I'm all kinds of creamy now. Off to figure out the FractToolThing! THANK YOU!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.