Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, it's "common knowledge" that the built-in direct signals (hi-z/instrument/guitar) on interfaces are inferior to let's say a good quality DI box (like teh Radial)

So I decided to make a comparison.

DIRECT SIGNAL!

REAMPED SOUND (with Kemper)

So, can you hear any difference, or tell which one is which?! :flex:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using the Apogee HiZ inputs for the past 5 years. Way better than any DI-box or any other application I've tried.
That was my reaction to this comparison too...
Makes me kind of regret wasting that money on 2 units of Radial J48s :lol:
They are still really handy for live recording tho; both record and go to live amp with the "thru", without going through fiddly routing stuff in the DAW.

I can't really hear any obvious difference, but that just means I'll continue using my Kemper signal, since that makes the whole recording setup easy and low on latency
Most difference, must have been by picking slightly different each time.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Your average ordinary listener couldn't tell the difference between a jcm 800 and a Bugera tri rec infinium 3 channel 100 watt valve amp head going thru a fucking radio shack microphone.
Stop holding your shits in and just have fun man. Cripes...,

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
I think I can relate to you on this one. Would I be right in thinking that you're so fussy about things like this more for the confidence in your own result than what other people think? I have a similar issue where I do loads of takes and scrap them because one note wasn't precisely on the click or there's a bit of string ringing that no one else seems to hear. That's why I've never finished a recording :lol:

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
I think I can relate to you on this one. Would I be right in thinking that you're so fussy about things like this more for the confidence in your own result than what other people think? I have a similar issue where I do loads of takes and scrap them because one note wasn't precisely on the click or there's a bit of string ringing that no one else seems to hear. That's why I've never finished a recording :lol:
Dear god, I can related to that!!!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, you're right!

I just wanted to be sure if the quality of the DI signals was on par, or different.
And to my ears, there's almost no difference. However, I'm sure there's a difference, but not enough to make me choose something over the other; so I go with the most convienient one, which is Kemper, through SPDIF. Less routing, and added bonus is less latency than the others (for some reason)

Haha, well, I can't relate 100% to your performance thing tho; there's tons of small mistakes on my recordings. If there's something I can't notice, I dont care. The mistakes starts showing up after a few listens, but often I just dont care. :)

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
It just depends on your hardware. I can go direct with my GSP1101 but whenever I activated Reaper to record something, not only would I have to close the editing software but there would be a bit of latency in the signal. I'd say this is all mainly due to the fact that the unit is nearly 10 years old now and things have slightly improved since then. Recently, I snagged a Steinberg UR22 and the latency & software issues have gone away.

With newer hardware like the Kemper, Helix, etc... their audio interface is probably every bit as good as any standalone unit, the only exception being the number of inputs available.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just depends on your hardware. I can go direct with my GSP1101 but whenever I activated Reaper to record something, not only would I have to close the editing software but there would be a bit of latency in the signal. I'd say this is all mainly due to the fact that the unit is nearly 10 years old now and things have slightly improved since then. Recently, I snagged a Steinberg UR22 and the latency & software issues have gone away.

With newer hardware like the Kemper, Helix, etc... their audio interface is probably every bit as good as any standalone unit, the only exception being the number of inputs available.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right on this. Basically anything new, that does not suck, will do the job.

Even my Tascam US144MKII is pretty great, even better than the old "grey" 122, but that might have to do with my previous shitty computer, maybe :lol:

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
That's why I've never finished a recording :lol:
Try and discipline yourself with a 'Pre-production' and 'Final recording' mentality, it let's you make progress without tripping yourself up. In pre-production make your mindset 'I just want to get this song written & recorded, I don't care about quality (within reason)'. Final recording is where you can obsess over performance (and don't forget vibe).

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I could never hear a difference in the DI Tracks themselves, but when we reamped them, it was noticeable. But the most difference made, which reamping/DI box was used. Reamping with the Radial DI box cut a little bit of lowend (like your common Boss NS2 or Tubescreamer would) and it also added some distorted/screechy treble/highs. Little Labs redeye had the clearest signal, but I always thought there was a little bit of output missing (I needed to turn a bit extra "make-up" gain/level in on the tubescreamer). I don't know if that also was the case with the Radial, because of the treble-distortion we didn't use it anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try and discipline yourself with a 'Pre-production' and 'Final recording' mentality, it let's you make progress without tripping yourself up. In pre-production make your mindset 'I just want to get this song written & recorded, I don't care about quality (within reason)'. Final recording is where you can obsess over performance (and don't forget vibe).
Important is to ALWAYS DI track everything during pre-prod

Maybe not so much the rhythm guitars (I never look at tuner during preprods, so it might be -1 or +1 off at times, but nothing noticable, my guitars stay well in tune)

But SOLOS... Always DI when trying out solos. Since I started DI tracking, I've saved myself a lot of time trying to "nail that exact divebomb" or maybe "that vibrato with some weird but awesome artifact going on"... Because soloing is just like vocals, it really needs the right performance, with the right "mistakes" to make it good.
I love weird noises during solos, I almost constantly play with harmonics and shit (not just vibratos but regular picking runs) and but sometimes it's hard to nail the exact harmonics again and then it doesn't matter if I didn't check tuning during the pre-production... It can be a few cents off if it has to

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've been using the Apogee HiZ inputs for the past 5 years. Way better than any DI-box or any other application I've tried.
This. So much this. I ran the Radial DI for a while straight into my interface (MOTU), and ended up picking up and Apogee because I could never get my DIs to be as good as the ones that Ola packaged with one of the Feared bundles. The Apogee made a monster difference, night and day, and it made it a set-it-and-forget-it setup. There's enough studio shit to dick with and tweak knobs on when recording, a DI shouldn't be one of them.

Radial > Apogee > Reaper = POWER AND GLORY :immortal:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This. So much this. I ran the Radial DI for a while straight into my interface (MOTU), and ended up picking up and Apogee because I could never get my DIs to be as good as the ones that Ola packaged with one of the Feared bundles. The Apogee made a monster difference, night and day, and it made it a set-it-and-forget-it setup. There's enough studio shit to dick with and tweak knobs on when recording, a DI shouldn't be one of them.

Radial > Apogee > Reaper = POWER AND GLORY :immortal:
Stop it guys, you make me wanna buy stuff :flex:

But really, is there "night and day" difference?

Since there's like 0.1% difference between the DIs I posted, how would the DIs of the Apogee sound, compared to those?

I mean, I'm all for getting better gear, but without real recorded comparisons, I can't be sure. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts