Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI MY NAME IS TONY. I LIVE IN THE U.K.

JUST POSTED A GUITAR FOR SALE AS A MEANS TO MAKING NEW FRIENDS ON THE FORUM, BUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CAME 'DOWN' QUICKLY ON ME AS THIS WAS NOT THE WAY TO "INTRODUCE MYSELF".
AND THAT THIS "WASN'T EBAY". I JUST COULDN'T THINK OF A BETTER WAY TO START ALL THIS UP I GUESS. I THINK THEY HAVE A POINT OF SOME KIND SO I AM TRYING TO DO IT PROPERLY TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY.

IT IS REALLY TOUGH TO READ THE POSTS HERE AS I HAVE TOTAL DIFFICULTY READING WHITE TYPEFACE ON A BLACK BACKGROUND - BEING VISUALLY DISABLED NOW.

SO HERE I AM. I AM 41, DISABLED AND A GUITAR PLAYER. POSTED THIS HERE AS HEALTH IS MY BIG DRAWBACK. I BROKE MY NECK A FEW YEARS BACK AND AM NOW PARTIALY SIGHTED AND HAVE ONE-SIDED WEAKNESS AND MANY OTHER PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL TROUBLES DUE TO THAT ACCIDENT. IT GOT SO BAD I WAS SUICIDAL AND TOOK UP GUITAR AGAIN JUST TO BEAT THE CRUSHING DEPRESSION. I AM AGROPHOBIC NOW TOO AND HATE GOING OUT SO HAVE ONLY ONE, INTERNET BASED , GUITAR FRIEND. LIFE SEEMS VERY FAR AWAY FROM ME SOMETIMES. PRETTY BLUE.

MY RIGHT ARM IS PRETTY GIMPY AND IT IS SO HARD TO SYNC IT WITH MY LEFT. I AM RIGHT HANDED. BEING ONE-EYED IS TOUGH WHEN TRYING TO FOCUS QUICKLY - IT IS SLOW AT TIMES. SOMETIMES I CAN'T EVEN PLAY AT ALL. I SAVED UP ALL MY DISABILITY PENSION FOR YEARS AND YEARS AND PUT A PRETTY GOOD GUITAR RACK AND SOME GOOD PRO GUITARS TOGETHER BUT WOULD SWAP IT ALL FOR BEING WELL AGAIN.

IT KEEPS ME GOING AS I HAVE SOMETHING TO GET UP FOR I GUESS. I AM GLAD I AM NOT COMLETELY PARALYSED TOO.

MUSIC LIFTS ME UP, I AM I RIGHT THERE ON THE SOLO'S AND IN THE RIFFS AND IMAGINE I AM TOTALLY FIT AGAIN AND PLAYING THAT WELL. WISH I WAS. THE REALITY IS I AM 'RUNNING' TO EVEN 'STAND STILL'.

MY FAVORITE GUITARISTS ARE EDDIE VAN HALEN, ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, STEVE FARRIS, GEORGE LYNCH, BRYAN ASPEY, RONNIE LE TEKRO, CHRIS DE GARMO, DAVE MUSTAINE, BUCK DHARMA, BOBBY ELLSWORTH, DARRELL ABBOTT, ALEX LIFESON, JERRY CANTRELL, DAVE GILMOUR AND ANDY SUMMERS ARE GREAT TOO BUT NOT METAL TYPE GUYS I KNOW.

ANYWAY, ARE THERE ANY OTHER DISABLED GUITARISTS OUT THERE WHO WANT TO BE FRIENDS - I REALLY NEED ONE. WHEN MY EYE IS WORKING, I WILL REPLY FOR SURE.

I HAVE LOADS OF BOOTLEGS AND RARE ALBUMS I WILL SHARE FOR FREE WITH ANYONE WHO WANTS TO. I AM WELL READ AND EXPERT ON MANY GUITARS AND GEAR - BEEN INTO THIS SINCE I WAS 13. THANKS FOR READING.

GOD BLESS TODAY. TONY.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Chris came down hard on you because as you can imagine we get an awful lot of spam on the forum from people who just sign up to sell stuff and disappear, and this is a much tighter, close-knit community than on many forums you may have been on.

I'm very sorry to hear about your condition, and I'm glad you've found something that gives you something to strive towards, but please just be aware that Chris wasn't doing anything other than what we all have done in that situation.

Anyway, hope to see you around buddy. :yesway:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Welcome Tony, you can certainly find some new friends here, and the silliness that occurs here may even cheer you up a bit. I don't know if there are any disabled players on here, but I'm sure there are people that can help you or give you advice.

I'm half blind in one eye, so I know how frustrating that can be. I am terrified of losing sight in that eye completely.

Yes, the mods will come down on members who post a for-sale thread as their first post, and they'll also try to discourage posts made in all caps. ;)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Welcome Tony, you can certainly find some new friends here, and the silliness that occurs here may even cheer you up a bit. I don't know if there are any disabled players on here, but I'm sure there are people that can help you or give you advice.

I'm half blind in one eye, so I know how frustrating that can be. I am terrified of losing sight in that eye completely.

Yes, the mods will come down on members who post a for-sale thread as their first post, and they'll also try to discourage posts made in all caps. ;)
In this instance it may be more to do with his lack of eyesight. Anyway, since TonyFlyingSquirrel didn't come here with us in the exodus from ss.org, I've been missing someone who posted in all caps all the time. :lol:

As for the admins Tony, there are two - Chris and Drew. And they are as gay as doorknobs. Toe the line, blow them kisses, you'll be fine. :)

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
In this instance it may be more to do with his lack of eyesight. Anyway, since TonyFlyingSquirrel didn't come here with us in the exodus from ss.org, I've been missing someone who posted in all caps all the time. :lol:

As for the admins Tony, there are two - Chris and Drew. And they are as gay as doorknobs. Toe the line, blow them kisses, you'll be fine. :)
Valid excuses are valid :agreed:

TonyFlyingSquirrel's reason was funny to me. He used a computer at work that was ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME :lol:

"gay as doorknobs" :lol: :wubbed:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I do CAPS for my eyes but I will do small from now on, it is slower but I will do it to keep on the straight and narrow.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Valid excuses are valid :agreed:

TonyFlyingSquirrel's reason was funny to me. He used a computer at work that was ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME :lol:

"gay as doorknobs" :lol: :wubbed:
I thought Tony's computer admin had disabled the caps lock button as people kept entering information without caps and it caused havoc with the system? Either way it was funny, we all knew he had that job at Warmoth when he started posting properly. :lol:

Thanks. I do CAPS for my eyes but I will do small from now on, it is slower but I will do it to keep on the straight and narrow.
Hey, dude, if it's easier for you, don't worry about it. :) It's a quirk, quirks are good. People remember :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't worry Zepp88, I will be saying a prayer for you friend, I worry about the sight in my good eye going all the time, terrible pressure. Thanks to you and the other folks for replying to me, I truly appreciate that. That was great.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Dude, if you're posting in caps for your eyesight I don't think anyone is going to mind. :) As mentioned before, there was a guy we talked to all the time who always posted in caps. :shrug:

How is the guitar playing coming along? Is it helping with your depression?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I thought Tony's computer admin had disabled the caps lock button as people kept entering information without caps and it caused havoc with the system? Either way it was funny, we all knew he had that job at Warmoth when he started posting properly. :lol:
Yeah that sounds about right :lol:

Is he still posting on ss.org?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Not heard from since he was made redundant. But of course, I can't get on ss.org, so you know more than me. I imagine you defected to the dark side when you got your epic Qdoba'n. :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Don't worry Zepp88, I will be saying a prayer for you friend, I worry about the sight in my good eye going all the time, terrible pressure. Thanks to you and the other folks for replying to me, I truly appreciate that. That was great.
I was born with a lazy eye. My right eye was pointing the wrong way, and because of this I had three eye surgeries when I was young. It has never been right since.

Apparently one of the surgeries was kind of botched too becuase a suture broke, and bad stuff occured.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Not heard from since he was made redundant. But of course, I can't get on ss.org, so you know more than me. I imagine you defected to the dark side when you got your epic Qdoba'n. :lol:
I logged in. Answered a PM. And logged out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Zepp88, It does help a lot - you are concentrating so hard on getting it right, you forget the other misery thankfully. I was working real hard the other day at getting the riff for Van Halen's 'Humans Being' right, hours just went by. I never did get it sounding perfect as EVH's tuning is a bit wacky sometimes but it was great that time went by so quickly. Your avatar is cool, I was in love with that Lady when I was small !! She had a great Voice. Tony.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
My cousin was born blind in her left eye (I don't remember the name of the condition, but her left eye is completely white, so she wears a conformer over it) and she plays bass and piano. She's let it get her down every now and then, but overall she's really positive about it. You have to do the best with what you have. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost my eyesight, so I have nothing but the utmost respect for people making the best out of such a condition. :yesway:

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I love Carolyn Jones dude, she was so hot as Morticia :jj:

I haven't learned any Van Halen songs in forever. Maybe I should :) I'm trying to find the fun in playing recently, and that may help! (I have my own issues :lol: don't we all...).

That's awesome that the guitar playing is helping you out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I logged in. Answered a PM. And logged out.
Yes, I had 5 surgeries on my bad eye too - just killed it altogether. They wanted to put a plastic disc in it to ultra black it out but I didnt want plastic in my eye man.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Yes, I had 5 surgeries on my bad eye too - just killed it altogether. They wanted to put a plastic disc in it to ultra black it out but I didnt want plastic in my eye man.
Ugh I wouldn't want that either! Although I'd kill to have it replaced with a super-awesome robot eye :lol:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts