Metal Guitarist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
:lol: I mean to be fair, 90% of this stuff is just conservatives working the refs. Constantly complaining about the liberal media and how you're being silenced is pretty effective at getting your dumb ideas treated with more deference than they deserve by people/institutions who want to be seen as impartial, or whose bottom line depends on hanging onto conservative users. It's the same game they've been running on traditional media forever, just adapted for targeting at tech companies since they're essentially publishers now too.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The classic "Conservative parasites want to regulate the few things we are still leaders in into oblivion to stroke their own egos".

It's always amazing to see the "lol, lets get rid of those weaklings in California, they are deadweight, and lets get rid of those idiots in the pacific northwest states like Oregon and Washington too, all of those liberal freeloaders are just dragging us down" crowd in action.

Look in the areas we are still #1 conservative idiots. We're certainly not #1 in industry or innovation anymore. But America is certainly still culturally dominant, and even if we aren't cutting edge by a huge margin in tech, it's still a strong area, particularly entrepreneurial social media start ups. It's not fucking Alabama doing the heavy lifting keeping America relevant on a world stage.

But yeah, let's put the people who have no idea what they are doing like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul in charge of the companies still keeping us relevant on a world stage because they didn't suck up to conservative idiots hard enough. America First!

These dudes can grasp that the only reason people care about the middle east is because they are sitting on tons of oil, but they can't grasp the only context that many people view America from overseas is "the country that makes those cool comic book movies". :lol:

Who's better for the economy, the monopoly with all of the highest grossing movies, or the dude who was such a loser he didn't pay taxes for decades? That's a tough one honestly. Could go either way.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:lol: I mean to be fair, 90% of this stuff is just conservatives working the refs. Constantly complaining about the liberal media and how you're being silenced is pretty effective at getting your dumb ideas treated with more deference than they deserve by people/institutions who want to be seen as impartial, or whose bottom line depends on hanging onto conservative users. It's the same game they've been running on traditional media forever, just adapted for targeting at tech companies since they're essentially publishers now too.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

For the people that say you can say what you want but Twitter etc is a private company and can remove you, Why are Jones and such not removed until people start whining? Google let Jones have his channel for how long until this getting people cancelled became a thing?
I think you're putting the cart before the horse - Alex Jones was booted off Youtube after a lawsuit alleging him of using his platform, including Youtube, as part of an attempt to defame parents who lost their children in the Sandy Hook shooting started moving forward and holding up to appeal. It was becoming apparent that Google might have some legal liability if he stayed on their playform, so of course they acted. This was long before so-called "cancel culture" was even a thing.

He posted tweets comparing Trump supporters to Nazis and in 2018 compared America to concentration camp prisons.

Now I AM NOT a TRUMP supporter but how is this fair?

A simple search on google will link you to what I am talking about.
Ah, the "Losers in 1865, Losers in 1945, Losers in 2020" thing?

I mean, you're right, considering there were absolutely no insurgents carrying Confederate Flags or Nazi slogans when they stormed the capitol, when will this injustice end?

Then there's Trump's frequent dog whistling of the far right and white supremacist movements in this country. I mean, if you get in bed with neo-nazis, then you don't get to complain about getting tied to them when your coup fails, you know?

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
To everyone asking "why can't we just tolerate their opinions and let them say it?" I highly recommend to read up on the "Paradox of tolerance" from Karl Popper. The TLDR verison: " if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant." Because it is contradictory to extend freedom of speech to extremists who - if successful - will ruthlessly suppress the speech of those with whom they disagree.

Anti-semitism, or any kind of racism, homophobia,... these things have no place and there is no reason to tolerate such views just for the sake of "free speech", with the conseuqence of people getting hurt, killed or democracies getting overthrown or <insert other worst case dystopian scenario here>.

Also one should never forget, that the holocaust comparisons, as in comparing it with e.g. getting negative twitter feedback for your shitty worldview, is a common propaganda tactic of the radical right / Neonazi groups and the step to holocaust denials, as it belittles/negates the horrors of it. "We are the new jews" are the famous words of a Neonazi party leader in Austria, when he made a statement to the press when he was confronted with pictures of him "Sieg Heil"-ing to his neonazi comrades.
There will be no acceptance for this kind of shit, never again.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Because it is contradictory to extend freedom of speech to extremists who - if successful - will ruthlessly suppress the speech of those with whom they disagree.
Yeah, this. The entire strategy of incipient fascist movements is to abuse liberal norms of freedom and tolerance to protect themselves while the movement is in its infancy, and then to smash those very same norms as soon as they're powerful enough to do so in order to stifle dissent.

Incidentally, fascists trying to make common cause with centrist liberals against leftists, on the basis of "they are totalitarians who don't respect our free speech norms!" has historically been pretty effective. A biiiig chunk of the big liberal media pundits buy into this left wing cancel culture trope to varying degrees and actively amplify it.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
To everyone asking "why can't we just tolerate their opinions and let them say it?" I highly recommend to read up on the "Paradox of tolerance" from Karl Popper. The TLDR verison: " if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant." Because it is contradictory to extend freedom of speech to extremists who - if successful - will ruthlessly suppress the speech of those with whom they disagree.
Again, we have a winner. Belief in tolerance is the belief that all attitudes should be accepted. Belief in intolerance is the belief that only one attitude should be accepted and all others should be rejected. Suggesting those two are anything other than diametric opposites, and that it's entirely right for an iron-clad belief in tolerance to reject intolerance in all forms is no more than empty word play, and not some sort of principled stand. No one would say a belief in justice forces you to accept injustice, or a belief in freedom forces you to embrace slavery, you know?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I think it depends on how you define freedom of speech. I define it by a right guaranteed to you by the government, but without protection from consequences. That’s exactly why these neonazi jackasses keep getting themselves in trouble: they can’t help but out themselves.

If we tried to use the government to suppress their freedom of speech, we’d have simply had Republican administrations silencing peaceful dissent. You think how Trump responded to BLM was bad? Imagine if he had the law on his side.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
If we tried to use the government to suppress their freedom of speech, we'd have simply had Republican administrations silencing peaceful dissent. You think how Trump responded to BLM was bad? Imagine if he had the law on his side.

That's what violating the First Amendment looks like.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
"Paradox of Tolerance" from Karl Popper.
Unfortunately, as correct as that theory is, it's useless in a modern context.

That's assuming the party you are talking to is reasonable and isn't making arguments that are 100% in bad faith.

That theory is from a time when half of the political spectrum wasn't comprised entirely of trolls. :lol:

The "The sheer injustice of what happened to Gina! Doesn't anyone care about the principle of freedom of speech?" crowd is just throwing a bad faith argument at you to tie you up. They don't give a shit about the principle of freedom of speech.

They do the same thing with Blackstone's Formulation. It's just bait to waste your time that serves as an effective smokescreen.

I'm from an extremely right wing area, and I will tell you with absolute certainty the right wing does not give a shit about "unjust double standards" or "principles" unless they can use it as a bad faith argument for personal gain.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
All you need to know about how much the right wing actually cares about freedom of speech is summed up by the fact they consider the ACLU a liberal organization unless they can benefit from something the ACLU is up to. :lol:

In spite of the fact the ACLU is non partisan and strictly focused on principle and has litigated on behalf of a bunch of right wing assholes for their right to say stupid shit or exercise their civil liberties. The ACLU has backed people like Rush Limbaugh.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

Anti-semitism, or any kind of racism, homophobia,... these things have no place and there is no reason to tolerate such views just for the sake of "free speech", with the conseuqence of people getting hurt, killed or democracies getting overthrown or <insert other worst case dystopian scenario here>.

Also one should never forget, that the holocaust comparisons, as in comparing it with e.g. getting negative twitter feedback for your shitty worldview, is a common propaganda tactic of the radical right / Neonazi groups and the step to holocaust denials, as it belittles/negates the horrors of it. "We are the new jews" are the famous words of a Neonazi party leader in Austria, when he made a statement to the press when he was confronted with pictures of him "Sieg Heil"-ing to his neonazi comrades.
There will be no acceptance for this kind of shit, never again.
This post. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The only way to cancel something is to first deem it false, and then flex your tricep at it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I actually called Disney to cancel my Disney+ subscription and as soon as someone picked up I gave them a piece of my mind and told them I thought it was very unfair that they didn't check Baby Yoda's social media for racism before firing Gina Carano. Total double standard from the dems.

The person on the other end didn't even try to hide it, they were like, "I'm pretty sure that's not necessary, Baby Yoda is a puppet."

And I just start yelling

"A PUPPET FOR WHO? SOROS? THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA? BILL GATES? IS PEDRO PASCAL ALSO A PUPPET FOR THE LEFT WING GROUPTHINK? I DEMAND ANSWERS."

It was a really awkward silence, because at that point they knew I was on to them. I'm not a sheeple. I've read 1984.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:lmao:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I actually called Disney to cancel my Disney+ subscription and as soon as someone picked up I gave them a piece of my mind and told them I thought it was very unfair that they didn't check Baby Yoda's social media for racism before firing Gina Carano. Total double standard from the dems.

The person on the other end didn't even try to hide it, they were like, "I'm pretty sure that's not necessary, Baby Yoda is a puppet."

And I just start yelling

"A PUPPET FOR WHO? SOROS? THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA? BILL GATES? IS PEDRO PASCAL ALSO A PUPPET FOR THE LEFT WING GROUPTHINK? I DEMAND ANSWERS."

It was a really awkward silence, because at that point they knew I was on to them. I'm not a sheeple. I've read 1984.
Holy fuck. :lol:

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/behind-disneys-firing-of-mandalorian-star-gina-carano

For a bit more context of what happened. She did a lot of dumb posts and got a lot of people mad at her. Lucasfilm told her to stop drumming up controversy with even Favreau himself stepping up to bat to give her another chance. She then ignored the warnings from Lucasfilm and continued doing what her employers specifically told her not to do. Essentially, it's less "cancel culture coming for the right-wing!" and more "she repeatedly broke the rules and pissed off her employers, including her direct boss who was the only one willing to stick up for her". Even in the article itself, they mention two other actresses who shared controversial posts and weren't punished for it (because they had the good sense to stop when warned), and James Gunn, who was cancelled by the right (another on the gigantic pile proving the right's "woe-is-me!" about cancel culture is manufactured horseshit). Turns out if you want to stay employed by Disney, you can't keep causing trouble for them. Reaping and sowing or something like that.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts

And I just start yelling

you complete me.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
He posted tweets comparing Trump supporters to Nazis and in 2018 compared America to concentration camp prisons.

Now I AM NOT a TRUMP supporter but how is this fair?

A simple search on google will link you to what I am talking about.
Seems pretty accurate. Trump is a fascist, they're supporting a fascist, ergo......

And I just start yelling

:rofl:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts