Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dear MG ...

i had recently gotten interested into few pedals and eventually gotten a high gain distortion pedal, which i thought i'll be going out for more disverse setup with it rather than out with an overdrive pedal.. do you guys think by having an overdrive pedal is better than a distortion pedal?

lets say i gotten my distortion pedal tweaked to a mild gain settings fairly at 830am or 9am.. would i be getting a better tone out if i were to go with an overdrive?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
All depends, really. Personally I think that you'll almost always get better high gain tone out of a proper head than a pedal, but if you've found a pedal that you really dig, there's no saying that a pedal + OD wouldn't make you just as happy. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You'd have to listen to it honestly.

The main reason people use Tubescreamer-style overdrives in front of high gain amps is because that style of pedal removes the high treble and low bass, tightening and focusing the sound significantly.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You'd have to listen to it honestly.

The main reason people use Tubescreamer-style overdrives in front of high gain amps is because that style of pedal removes the high treble and low bass, tightening and focusing the sound significantly.
Which brings up the fact that though I have a Mesa, and the general consensus is that Mesa + OD is the way go to, I had a TS in front of it and didn't think it was necessary. I like the sound of my amp better without it.

Tone is subjective. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That it is :yesway:

The F-30 my stepdad got recently needs a boost like crazy though... thing has ridiculous amounts of bass even with that knob off. :lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys and yes tone is generally up to individuals.. but lets say we have a shiba drive and a riot to choose from... which i guess generally they are builted to have that kinda Suhr's trademark tone there..

i guess for me generally i'll go with riot rather than the shiba ( sorry that i am very new into pedals ).. as riot could perhaps cover more gain territory which a shiba can't.. and obviously for the same amount of price how would one getta shiba drive instead of a riot which could eventually tone down to get the shiba's drive territory?

or is it just a different gain response where a lowly setted Riot would not sound like a Shiba to be more natural ?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You know, I have never used either pedal so I'm not sure I can be any help.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Which brings up the fact that though I have a Mesa, and the general consensus is that Mesa + OD is the way go to, I had a TS in front of it and didn't think it was necessary. I like the sound of my amp better without it.

Tone is subjective. :yesway:
depending on how tight you like you sound to be, a properly dialed in recto sounds already good without a boost in a room, i agree. especially when mic'ing it up, though, a tubescreamer will focus the sounds so it sit much better in a mix

i like my VH4 better without a boost 'in the room', but it really sounds more focused and cuts better with a boost when mic'ing it for recording, as well as in a band mix.

most amps without a boost will generally sound more dynamic and fuller, which is nice when playing by yourself but superfluous in a band mix.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
depending on how tight you like you sound to be, a properly dialed in recto sounds already good without a boost in a room, i agree. especially when mic'ing it up, though, a tubescreamer will focus the sounds so it sit much better in a mix

i like my VH4 better without a boost 'in the room', but it really sounds more focused and cuts better with a boost when mic'ing it for recording, as well as in a band mix.

most amps without a boost will generally sound more dynamic and fuller, which is nice when playing by yourself but superfluous in a band mix.
This!

Plus: it also dpeends a lot on your gutiar and the pickups. I use a TS when i play the Ibby with Blazes - because there is A LOT of lowend coming from it, that, in combination with the Über-Lowend from the Diezel is just simply too much. And that way, i can turn up the "Deep" knob even more (the lowend coming from the Winged C 6550 in the poweramp is GODLIKE :wub: ) - and it still stays controlable, tight, and punchy. I really dont know how to describe it...the lowend is BIG but also TIGHT!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
i run an an MXR GT OD in front of my VHT sig x head and i now swear by it!

But it all depends. Cannibal Corpse use keeley modded Boss metal zones in front of triple rec's and while i wouldnt want their tone for my self i love it and it suits them very well.

This sort of thing really is personal preference. Using a pedal in front will affect your tone but its up to you to decide if its good or not!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
You know, it really depends on the context. I've been working on dialing in my rhythm tone for my album, and the consensus (I've been tossing the mods the occasional clip for feedback) is the clips without the boost have worked better with my bass sound and for the stuff I write. Then again, I'm not THAT metal, so we're talking about a very different intensity of riff. :lol:

For leads, I kind of like it - it adds a little more saturation and compression without SOUNDING like it's more saturated and compressed, almost, it seems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i run an an MXR GT OD in front of my VHT sig x head and i now swear by it!

But it all depends. Cannibal Corpse use keeley modded Boss metal zones in front of triple rec's and while i wouldnt want their tone for my self i love it and it suits them very well.

This sort of thing really is personal preference. Using a pedal in front will affect your tone but its up to you to decide if its good or not!
Metal zone infront of their triple rectos? thats interesting if to know that they did push more gain primarily off from pedal or from amp itself?

i just gotten a Tone Freak's Severe and just to aid my amp's gain abit to get it more aggressive and it did well...

i set it to round 930am at gain and tone is slightly towards the brighter side from middle position.
My 50CL is at gain 1130am or 12 noon, treble = 11am , Mids = 2.30pm,bass= 1230noon.

i realise that this pedal could only adds abit of gain to my amp any point further than 12noon fro my pedal is going noisy and kinda messed up. i also learned that this pedal perhaps does not do good when having the amp setted up "little" and pushing the gain from the pedal instead of the amp. it just didnt sound right...

i wonder if anyone does his setup for gain from pedal which is larger than their amp's distortion settings? thank you !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts