Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been watching a ton of videos lately from the guys over at Spectre Sound Studios (youtube link) and they're always using a distressor compressor on just about eveything, and it sounds phenomenal. I realized there is a freeware VST that is pretty great at duplicating the style of sound you would get from a compressor. Grain of salt, this is free vs the $1300 outboard unit, but I've been doing some work with it on some of my bass guitar and vocal tracks and it definitely kicks the crap out of the compressors I've been using which cost quite a bit more than free.

Honestly it might be the best VST compressor I've ever heard, and it's free.

Download link: Download Free Distressor compressor clone plug-in: Modern Deathcore by Antress

What's a distressor compressor? Here's a good speech demo:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
ALL of the Antress stuff is great - I also really like their Lost Angel opto compressor, and their tape sim plugin is, well, I can't say how realistic it is, but it's nice for subtle distortion effects.

Welcome to Antress Modern Plugins

Honestly, these were the one downside for me when I switched to a Mac - they're PC only, and I'd used them heavily while mixing my album, so I had to find alternatives (and ended up biting the bullet and grabbing the Waves CLA bundle on sale).

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
ALL of the Antress stuff is great - I also really like their Lost Angel opto compressor, and their tape sim plugin is, well, I can't say how realistic it is, but it's nice for subtle distortion effects.

Welcome to Antress Modern Plugins

Honestly, these were the one downside for me when I switched to a Mac - they're PC only, and I'd used them heavily while mixing my album, so I had to find alternatives (and ended up biting the bullet and grabbing the Waves CLA bundle on sale).
Yeah, but the CLA 1176 is glorious. I like the Antress stuff in general, though I haven't used this one,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but this is the only discussion I could find on this topic. How can you make this work in 64bit DAWs, like Protools 2021? I assume you guys were using 64 bit in 2016? Are there any other compressors that are free that do a similar task in 64 bit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.