Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

here is some footage of me pounding through one of the two new songs we've started tracking....

Sure SM57s on the rack toms, and snare-side.
Oktava snare batter as well as overheads.
Audix D6's in the kicks.
Mike Blevins can chime in on placements, floor tom mics, recording software etc.

Pearl MCX with Emperor batters, tuned a bit low
Kicks with Powerstroke batters - old and beat to death. Heavily muffled batters at medium tension and loosely tuned resos with light muffling.
8"x14 DW Performance Series steel snare with a Remo CS batter.

The audio begins with camera mic, then audio that fades in is comprised of scratch guitars and 100% acoustic drum sounds. Mike can also chime in with compression or whatever else he may have done to the sound.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
"Deadsucks studio?"

Pretty awesome stuff though. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
:lol: Since James put me on the spot with this...

DAW is Reaper 4.
Interface - 2xPresonus FP-10
Scratch guitars were this horrid Edirol interface I was using while my Firepod was broken.
There's some mild compression on the overheads (based on the ReaComp "attack overheads" preset), a pretty stock snare comp (also ReaComp, though my own preset tuned for snare), and some light EQ. Kicks have some light compression and no eq - those mics sound great in those kicks.

I'd like to put that freakin' china in a different room to track it, though. Like, one in a different house from the rest of the drum set. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Oh, and I ended up using an AT3035 LDC on the floor tom. It worked a lot better than a 57, for whatever reason. The overheads are Oktava MK-012s, which sound a lot better than they should at the price point.

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind comments! There aren't any crazy patterns in the song, drum-wise, so it's nothing to brag about.... but it has its challenges. It's slow enough to hit hard, but fast enough to check my stamina, especially at the end. I dig the old-school double-bass approach of do-the-longest-uninterrupted-run-possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts