Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't really in the mood to start my next home renovation project, and I was tired of having a few single-guitar stands in the way all the time, so, I decided to make a multi-guitar stand. It's pretty easy to make in a few hours and the only power tool I used was a drill. A saw, chisel some clamps were the only other tools used. Using a router would probably cut the build time in half, but I didn't feel like dealing with the sawdust and wanted to practice my sawing technique.

First, I drew/modeled the stand to see what was involved:
guitarstand.pdf
guitarstand-iso-01.pdf
guitarstand-iso-02.pdf

Here's the sketchup model if you're curious.
guitarstand

On my next trip to Home Depot, I priced out materials to see if it was worth building. (2) 2"x3" x 8'-0" studs, (3) 3/4" diameter x 3'-0" oak dowels and (2) 1/2" x 8'-0" self-sealing pipe insulation totaled up to about $25. Considering a new 5-guitar stand costs about $70, building it myself seemed like a good deal. Thus, materials acquired:

Pieces are cut to length and holes drilled:

The pieces are dry fit the cut lines are marked for the half-lap joints.

The half-lap joints are sawn. The outtermost cuts are most important because they define the fit of the joint. The interior cuts are only for making material removal easier.

Using a chisel to remove the waste. With a sharp chisel, only hand pressure is required to remove the material.

Another test fit before gluing up...

Glued up and painted (black of course).

The pipe insulation is installed.

I had some left over pipe insulation, so I decided to use it as feet for the stand. Cutting the piece in half...

...and using some double-stick tape, the halves are attached to the bottom.

Now the guitars are collected in one place.

...now I guess it's time to start the next home renovation project...

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The insulation is soft enough that the necks kind of sink in and that holds them in place. The drawing and model in the post is an updated version that leans the guitar back a bit more so they would be a bit more stable. Unless I'm jumping around right next to the stand, I don't expect any problems.

Small dowels could be installed perpendicular to the top horizontal, but I didn't think it was worth the effort. Then again, I may do it just to further delay the house stuff. :D

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Also, what material is that foam insulation? I wonder how it reacts with nitro

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Also, what material is that foam insulation? I wonder how it reacts with nitro
This :agreed: most of my guitars are nitro finished :/

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Nice work!

Also, are you taking orders yet? :wub:

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The foam insulation looks and feels the same as the what is used on the multi-guitar stand I bought a few years ago. It's used for wrapping heated copper piping, so I wouldn't expect it to be reactive. Guess I'll find out!

An alternative to the foam insulation would be to wrap the dowels with a towel and use zip ties to hold it in place.

Taking orders for this? Nononoooo...I would be ashamed to sell this thing! I painted it black to hide the gaps in the joints and knots in the wood. :D

Very kind of you to ask though!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I think Leon meant for guitars, sir.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Leon meant for guitars, sir.
Ohhhh...hmmm...well, I wouldn't feel comfortable building for someone until after they have played one of my more recent builds (timmeh, aj, patience or nick) and have a feel for what I can and cannot do. I'm incredibly flattered though considering Mac was only the second guitar I completed, and I've learned a bit since then.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Nice job, though I'd say those extra dowels are essential to avoid inter-guitar collisions. Something will bash into it and knock them into each other at some point if you don't.

As for the nitrocellulose issue, the simple way around it is to wrap a bit of old cotton t shirt around any foam that comes into contact with the guitars, on any stand/hanger you use.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Rob said:
Using a router would probably cut the build time in half, but I didn't feel like dealing with the sawdust and wanted to practice my sawing technique.
RTFT* :D

EDIT:
*Read The Fucking Thread :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts