Metal Guitarist Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the original humbuckers baseplate that can be magnetized?
What kind of material?

My humbuckers baseplate is iron, do i replace aluminium.
Is this a good idea or not?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put a lot of neodym magnet to every screw.
The output signal is very noisless. And look like the output voltage is equal an single coils output voltage.

But i think the original PAF's output voltage is not 30-40 mv, ...200-300mV or not?

·
Registered
5 Posts
FINE!

Hi guys,
I repair my home made PAF humbucker.
A replace the iron baseplate to aluminium.
Replace the neodymium magnets to AlNiCo5 and the sound is very good and loud.

The problem is the baseplate. Because the iron can magnetize, and scattering the magnet field.:flex::flex:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks!

I was dragging yesterday and didn't finish installing them, so, hopefully that'll get done tonight. Clips to follow for sure.

I was going to wax pot them, even got all the stuff required, but after considering I rarely play louder than bedroom volume, decided it wasn't worth the effort. I'll crank it up though just to see what happens. :D

For a rail, I don't think that is the actual magent, rather just a piece of steel with the magent(s) mounted beneath. That's just a guess on my part though.

Counting the winds was a stumbling block for me too. I decided to go low-tech and use a mechanical push button counter. It works well up to about 600 rpm, then it tends to jam. 600 rpm is plenty fast for me though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once you set up a basic potting system, (electric tea pot for water and a soda can for paraffin / bees wax), the biggest hurdle is waiting for the wax to heat up. The potting takes a couple of minutes plus cooling & clean up. If you plan your project it all flows together.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts