Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a few tutorials to make a sustainer on the cheap. I am having some trouble understanding a few things though, maybe someone more electronic savvy could help me understand. I see about what he's doing, but I don't understand what he's using as the "driver", I can solder my ass off, but without schematics...I am completely lost. :lol: I do have an old crap pickup lying around I'd love to try this with, but I need to do a bit more research and hopefully find someone to help me understand exactly what i'd need too.

This one's most detailed
Psw's Sustainer Pickup/driver Pictorial - Project Guitar Forum

This one is less in depth, but has a list of materials needed
DIY Sustainer : DIY Fever - Building my own guitars, amps and pedals

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It will be cheaper, easier, and less of a pain in the ass to buy one. Will also likely work better too.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be cheaper, easier, and less of a pain in the ass to buy one. Will also likely work better too.
Looking at the list of parts and cost, it would be a Lot cheaper, and it actually seems to work well.

and this is a test of it:

I pretty much understand this, I guess I don't quite get the circuit...that's not something I make on a regular basis.

I'd like to become more savvy with soldering circuits anyways, so it seems like a fun and cheap project.

Ok, so here's the circut the dude in the vid and tutorial is using (maybe the same guy?)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Parts are cheap, time and troubleshooting costs are expensive. As are rebuilds when you muck it up yourself. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying if all you want out of it is a sustainer, it will be cheaper to buy one on eBay or something.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Josh said:
Parts are cheap, time and troubleshooting costs are expensive. As are rebuilds when you muck it up yourself. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying if all you want out of it is a sustainer, it will be cheaper to buy one on eBay or something.
I hear you....like I said I kinda want to get into circuit boards anyways...I see it as a cheap and fun project and if it works good, sweet...if it half ass works, I will at least know if paying so much for a Fernandes or Sustainiac would be justifiable and if I would actually use it as much and in the way I think I would.

Can anyone help me understand the circuit a bit better and how to wire the sustainer/circuit together? That is the only thing I'm not quite understanding.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Hell, the guys at sustainiac can't even understand the circuit sometimes....Took em a few months just to figure out what the hell was wrong with the one I bought from em.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell, the guys at sustainiac can't even understand the circuit sometimes....Took em a few months just to figure out what the hell was wrong with the one I bought from em.
:lol: So maybe through trial and error?

I wish I could find a picture of this connected to the pickup, I now know that two wires are the 9V, but there are four more... is it tow to the output jack and to to the switch to turn it on/off? I think I could actually do this very easily if I could figure that out. :lol:

*edit* The wires on this one seem to be different from the one on the Fetzer/Ruby schematic.

Schematic pic

:scratch:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

There should be something to get the signal from your bridge pickup to drive the sustainer, something for the battery, something for the sustainer driver, and various grounds.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need a small amp like a ruby or so to power the driving coil. I built 5 protos (lol my phone wants to auto correct to Protoss) and only one worked audibly, and it was far, far from useable.Scrapped the whole project.

Without a base working knowledge of the science involved don't expect to be able to get it working anytime soon.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need a small amp like a ruby or so to power the driving coil. I built 5 protos (lol my phone wants to auto correct to Protoss) and only one worked audibly, and it was far, far from useable.Scrapped the whole project.

Without a base working knowledge of the science involved don't expect to be able to get it working anytime soon.
Gotcha, looks like i'm on the right track as the schematic I posted to the circuit IS a Ruby amp. :yesway: I'm going to take a crack at it...why not? :lol: It's worth a shot and maybe i'll learn something.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I mean, go for it by all means. Just be aware that without a good grasp on the science behind it its pretty close to a game of chance :lol:

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Can anyone help me understand the circuit a bit better and how to wire the sustainer/circuit together? That is the only thing I'm not quite understanding.
The basic gist is that the input to the Fetzer/Ruby is the output of the bridge pick-up and the output of the Fetzer/Ruby (i.e. the speaker) is replaced with the driver coil. What I didn't see was a switch (typically a 3PDT) that takes the neck coil out of the circuit, sends the bridge pick-up to the vol/tone/jack of the guitar and supplies power to the Fetzer/Ruby.

Ray

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The basic gist is that the input to the Fetzer/Ruby is the output of the bridge pick-up and the output of the Fetzer/Ruby (i.e. the speaker) is replaced with the driver coil. What I didn't see was a switch (typically a 3PDT) that takes the neck coil out of the circuit, sends the bridge pick-up to the vol/tone/jack of the guitar and supplies power to the Fetzer/Ruby.

Ray
:yesway: That helps a little bit, but in the last video I posted, when he tests it, it seems the sustainer isn't connected to the guitar in any way but still works. If that is possible, could I not just leave the sustainer out of the guitar's wiring, and just give it an on/off switch?

I don't really need the harmonic mode, as long as I can get regular sustain mode i'll be happy, so to make it a bit more simple, I plan on having a on/off mini switch if that is possible.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Doesn't work that way. The driver needs some oscillation to drive (it can't amplify nothing) and if the frequency being pushed isn't linked to the strings wavelength, it won't couple and sustain

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Doesn't work that way. The driver needs some oscillation to drive (it can't amplify nothing) and if the frequency being pushed isn't linked to the strings wavelength, it won't couple and sustain
Gotcha. :yesway: I guess its the camera angle when he's testing it on that JEM that makes me think it wasn't connected...I couldn't see any wires coming from the guitar. You gotta translate his page, but it says the Fetzer/Ruby circuit was hit or miss for him as well, and he's using a different one...maybe it'll be less hit or miss.

*edit*

^ Hmmm!!!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

That's a phase switch :spock:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Yeah the switch you've drawn is a dpdt on/on phase switch. The one viewed there is a single pole dual throw on/off switch. All that can do is disconnect or connec a single circuit

1 - 20 of 53 Posts