Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launcing a new website for a client,so starting at 8 am I am waiting for the nameserver changes to resolve so i can then replace the ip settings in wordpress with the actual url, reset the perma links, and a bit of .htaccess trickery so I can serve the site out of the dev directory - no big whoop done it lots of times. takes 30 min tops including checking all links and files/images.

So the change kicks in WOOO i log in to the WP admin and start making changes - then get a 404 i browse back to the root and BAM Old site is being served.

Clear cache, reload - old site.

Basically the fucking thing ping-ponged back and forth all damn day between hosts until finally I remember MY STUPID ISP DOES NOT UPDATE ITS DNS TABLES OFTEN ENOUGH!!!!! I set up open DNS and poof ping-ponging is over. :mad::pissed:

Hell of a way to spend a Saturday :lol: I wasted time farting around in borderlands but I hated being stuck in the damn house all day.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When ever I have a DNS change the longest it took to propagate is like 3 hours.

Who is the domain registrar out of curiosity?
Network Solutions. Usually their changes kick in very very fast (under 2 hours) I think it was just that my isp has flaky dns tables (Atlantic Broadband). after switching my DNS to opendns the ping ponging went away.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I've have had the full 24 hours for DNS changes before, which also were hilarious as they were taking live customer transactions and bouncing between a working box and a non-working box. Yay....

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
You know you can change the TTL values right? If you know you are going to make a major change, turn the TTL down to an hour or even 15 minutes a couple days before the cutover, then your changes will propagate a lot faster. Once everything seems stable, change it back to 12 or 24 hours.

Some providers do take a while to push changes out to their servers from the GUIDNS clients they use, but there really is no way around that. I think AT&T uploads updates every hour on the hour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.