Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my PreSonus rig working after I ditched the notion of routing any audio whatever through my PC - it's strictly a DAW system now.

I am currently monitoring from the FireStudio Mobile with Sennheiser HD590 open-ear headphones, which are extremely accurate but... there's the question. Should I get a set of cheapie active monitors to use for guitar tracking, and then do my mixing on headphones (and check results on hi-fi and car stereo)?

If so, what about something like this at $200/pair? Very compact/portable, and probably a better product than this.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drew, I did have it backward, but this is my point - if I'm doing my primary mixing on powered monitors, they have to have reasonable bass extension and accurate and flat response. A $200 set of JBLs doesn't seem like it would provide this.

I forgot about your suggestion with my Klipsches. I ran the Headphone out to my PC card and it was pissed - laggy and with a shitload of hiss and noise. But connecting the monitor outs to the speakers directly might rock. :metal:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mixed on a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s for years, and while I wasn't churning out awesome mixes, exactly, that probaby had more to do with recording straight into the soundcard than it did with my monitoring chain. :lol:
That's exactly what I'm talking about. :yesway: I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself with my gear, too, or I'll never get anything done.

Next step (which seems more important) is finding a good pencil condenser, thinking MXL 604 is a good start.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh, right, I forgot he was one of YOU people. :lol:

In that case, right on - it's way more fun rocking out if you don't have a set of phones on. :D
What do you mean, "You people?"

Holy shit, if those JBLs are as good as that article makes them sound, then I fucking want them. Now.
I doubt they are. :lol: I bet the bass, most importantly, is flubby and shallow in a box design like that. However, they look HIGHLY portable and could be useful for a laptop-based field recording idea...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Drew, I award you three Internets for your simple yet genius idea of adapting myself silly and plugging my 2.1 ProMedias into the main outs of my PreSonus. Works like a dream, and only $300 less than the cheapest set of active monitors worth owning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.