Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a used Schecter Revenger 7, and it seems like it goes out of tune a little faster than my other axe (Hellraiser C7). I swapped out the pickups and had it professionally set up by the same guy who does my other guitars, so I don't think it's how they're strung or anything like that. What are some things I can check to diagnose the issue?

Basically I'm wondering if picking up a set of locking tuners would help, or if maybe I need a new nut or something. How would I go about determining which? Also, I'm not really seeing much in the way of tuner sets for 7 strings, so I'm assuming I'd have to call up sperzel or gotoh and custom order them?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Nut probably doesnt need to be replaced, but needs to be filed. Im surprised the tech didnt do that with the setup honestly. The tuners should be fine on that guitar unless something happened to them. take some excess length of the same gauge string and see how freely it glides through the slots.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Lubing the nut never hurts if you hear the strings "pinging" and binding up while tuning or bending. Simple solution is to grind up some pencil "lead" into some petroleum jelly (chap stick, Vasoline, whatever), making a graphite-loaded grease that will work for a string change or two.

If you've upgraded to heavier strings for downtuning, you may need to have the nut filed out a bit.

But more importantly than locking tuners, I don't know if the tuners you have are of high quality or if they've been abused/damaged somehow. A good set of non-locking replacements would surely help, but I'll never suggest that throwing a set of good locking Sperzels (or whatever fits easiest into your headstock, all of the machine heads have different ream sizes :rant:) won't give you big boost in stability.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not at home so I can't check what kind of tuners are on there now, but I didn't notice any damage when I first got the guitar and inspected it, nor did the tech say anything. I'm assuming they're whatever came stock.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I love, love, love Sperzels, so imo if you like the guitar, it's worth putting them on there either way. That said - are the strings stretched out enough?

When I do changes, I just rub some pencil lead in the nut and in the saddles.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Schallers (available in singles too from warmoth) direct fit most gotohalikes.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Do they all go out of tune or do some strings seem to go out a lot faster. I would say replace your tuners first since they're kinda generic anyway. Don't even have to get locking, but that'd be a nice feature to have

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Schallers (available in singles too from warmoth) direct fit most gotohalikes.
The minis? Sweet! I might just grab a set of these once I get paid. Certainly couldn't hurt. It says they're not compatible with baritone strings though, is that going to be a problem for the low B on a set of EB regular slinkies?

Do they all go out of tune or do some strings seem to go out a lot faster. I would say replace your tuners first since they're kinda generic anyway. Don't even have to get locking, but that'd be a nice feature to have
It mostly seems to be the low B and the G that go out first.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought locking tuners didnt hold the tuning just the string in place.??
From what I've read, they don't make as big a difference as some people think they do, but I'd imagine it has to provide some degree of stability.

Plus, if I'm going to change out the tuners, I might as well spring the extra few bucks and get locking ones. If nothing else it'll make changing strings easier.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
:lol: I mean, Like on my SC608, it has ESP locking tuners.. (I'd hate to see the cost of a higher grade tuner for an 8 string :lol:) When it is Locked the string stays in the tuner, and doesnt have any excess strings out of the other side or wraped around it. But it can still be knocked out of tune if you hit the tuning peg. :shrug: But I don't know. These are my first set of Locking tuners. :lol:

Also I think if you order Planet Waves Locking set and tell them your getting it for a 7 string they will throw in a 7th tuner..I think...

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Yeah, but odds are his tuning problems arent from him hitting his tuners dude. If you play hard, just playing and picking strings can knock them out of tune. Those extra wraps are just another weak point where you could have a problem.

Id still start with the nut first, especially since you say its the B/G strings, but Ill never tell someone not to get locking tuners, if for convenience alone.

·
Born To Lose, Live To Win
111 Posts
the string pull post nut looks pretty straight so i wouldn't think the nut would be as big a problem than if the guitar was a les paul or something else with angles at the nut.

but you can always put some pencil lead in there, make sure your string wraps are always below the other, and don't use so much excess string. if you have a string tree put some lip-salve on it where it contacts the string. make sure the ball ends are fitting well into the bridge, have a good stretch. oil the string where it touches the saddle. should help. but if the tuners are bad and don't hold tension properly nothing will help but new tuners.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
It mostly seems to be the low B and the G that go out first.
Well after you follow previous advice and these two strings still seem to go out, I would swap tuners around to see if the issue follows the tuners or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts