Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i posted this on ss.org, thought you guys might want to try this as well!

okay, so you guys know that all pod X3/X3L users get the pod farm plug-in for free, to use in your DAW?

i found out an awesome way of making your tone miles more awesome using it!

you will be using your actual pod to make the basic tone, with the amp modelling etc. you can do the cab modelling and effects in pod farm if you like, but it´s not required.

first off, make sure you have a good patch on your pod. don´t use any EQ or compression after the amp though.

edit: i originally wrote that you should have the signal as loud as possible without clipping, but this is apparently not such a good idea! you should have a good amount of headroom to your signal. don´t keep it "right below the roof"!

insert the pod farm plug-in into the track you´re recording with. if you want to improve the gating, insert a gate in the signal chain. this is really awesome, as it helps the pre-distortion gate with cutting unwanted tails. adjust settings as you want.

now, here comes the awesomeness: go to "guitar amps" and find the "power amp" unit. you might be a bit confused now, as this is not available on the actual pod or in gearbox. awesome, huh?
the higher you turn the knob, the more tube-like your sound will be, but you´ll sacrifice a teeny bit of tightness. find your ideal middle ground.

i almost pissed my pants when i discovered this! i set it to full blast, adjusted the output setting in pod farm so that it wasn´t clipping anywhere (same output volume as the input volume), and just descended into chugga-chugga heaven!

seriously, this should really be a unit on the pod! it´s a really good fix for everything that is wrong with the pod sound! it´s not perfect as far as accuracy goes, but it fixes the whole feel of the pod!

so try it ASAP and tell me what you all think!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i used the cab sim and everything on my pod when i first tried it, and just added the noise gate and poweramp, but i´m going to do cab sim and stuff in pod farm from now on i think. it kinda makes more sense! :)

the power amp model in pod farm definitely adds some more awesome to the tone. i think it´s the same power amp model that is embedded in the amp models, except without a preamp. they should make it more apparent, because adding it to double up the power amp modelling really makes a huge difference in feel!

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
So, Line 6 has power amp modeling now, but they haven't added it to their hardware units as an update? That seems really silly to me, unless it's a huge CPU hog or something.

·
18,790 Posts
So, Line 6 has power amp modeling now, but they haven't added it to their hardware units as an update? That seems really silly to me, unless it's a huge CPU hog or something.
They've got it as an amp model in POD Farm, but not in the PODs as a selectable model. The theory being, they've already got power amp modelling built into the amp models. The function of having it in the plugin is that it sound more like plugging a POD into a tube power amp and cab, which I guess, they're assuming you'd be doing in a live setup if you wanted that sound. :shrug: It would be handy to add it as a separate tone block specifically for DI out, or add it as an amp model and give you the option of routing Tone 1 into Tone 2.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know they do have power amp modelling going on in their amp models, but as this thing proves, they just don´t have enough of it! if they were to double the amount of power amp modelling (providing more range on the amp volume setting, while lowering the overall volume), people would be alooooot more happy.

·
18,790 Posts
i know they do have power amp modelling going on in their amp models, but as this thing proves, they just don´t have enough of it! if they were to double the amount of power amp modelling (providing more range on the amp volume setting, while lowering the overall volume), people would be alooooot more happy.
Really, what they need to do is add a "Power Amp Volume" control to all of the amp models that basically functions like adjusting the level in Pod Farm on the Power Amp model.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the volume knob is already doing what the power amp knob does, actually, it just doesn´t do enough of it. it doesn´t go far enough. when you´re adding a second power amp modelling unit and turning it up, you´re adding more of that. if both the pod amp volume and the power amp volume in pod farm are at 100%, then you´ve doubled the power amp colouration. and it sounds sweet :D

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I wonder if this'll make POD Farm itself sound better, if I add in an additional instance with the plug-in. High gain tones just sound like shit on it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it´s definitely going to improve the osund, dude :)

just add another instance of pod farm to process the tone from the first one ;)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
also, make sure the signal reaching your computer is as loud as it can get, but without any clipping.
This is actually probably not such a great idea - most AD/DA converters, especially at the home and hobbyist level, become slightly nonlinear as they're pushed. This can really hurt clarity further on down the road in the mix.

Your better bet is to leave yourself plenty of headroom (the real advantage of digital is you have so much of it, so -6 to -12 db is probably a good range), and adjust by making up the difference on the "input" control of Pod Farm (I assume it has one) until you're sending a hot, but not clipped, signal into the modeler.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is actually probably not such a great idea - most AD/DA converters, especially at the home and hobbyist level, become slightly nonlinear as they're pushed. This can really hurt clarity further on down the road in the mix.

Your better bet is to leave yourself plenty of headroom (the real advantage of digital is you have so much of it, so -6 to -12 db is probably a good range), and adjust by making up the difference on the "input" control of Pod Farm (I assume it has one) until you're sending a hot, but not clipped, signal into the modeler.
thanks man, that´s something i had forgotten about! :)

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
:agreed: I don't think that I'd go as high as -12, but -6 on the transients is a good idea no matter how you look at it.

Good suggestion on the OP, though, MF! :agreed: I've heard that once you get levels and whatnot dialed in, POD Farm 2.0 is a major improvement sonically over the old algorithms, and even better when matched to some good 3rd party convolutions like Recabinet. :yesway:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I'll have to mess around with this myself. I've pretty much gotten used to PodFarm.

But keep in mind when it comes time to mix it into a recorded song, you gotta leave some of that fizz in there. You shouldn't try to get rid of all of it. There's good fizz and bad fizz so you gotta be careful what fizz you tune out.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:agreed: I don't think that I'd go as high as -12, but -6 on the transients is a good idea no matter how you look at it.
Guitars have a pretty predictable transient response, so you're probably safe. Percussion? I wouldn't chance it unless you have a seriously noisy input chain, and that's a whle other set of problems.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
For some reason, I'm tracking with a peak of -20.0dBFS. I think I read that this was the optimal level in an article that Drew posted here way back, but maybe I'm overdoing it. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts