Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some people say that you wanna "try out" guitars before buying but at my local music store it's like impossible to make any conclusion if they are any good... And while that is important, even guitars with specs you like can feel "off", for some weird reason. I like my 25.5" scale guitars with compund fretboards and shit, but I couldn't get along with a couple of Jackson guitars for anything in the world. Proceeding!!!

The action is always like 3 mm high, even in the used section :squint:
String height at nut is almost always a bit too high
All Floyd Roses go out of tune (there's rarely any real OFR or higher-end Ibanez in the store anyway, so no surprise there)
Rarely sharp fret ends actually, gotta give them props for that. But I could have cut my fingers off on a EVH Striped Series if I wasn't careful :spock:

Well that's about it. If there are quality issues with the guitars themselves, that's not the stores fault obviously. Like a Charvel San Dimas with a completely crooked pickguard... It was so crooked it was touching the strings!!! :squint:

Now on the other hand there's a good guitar store in my neighbor town;

There's a green BC Rich Gunslinger Retro which is SUPER nice to play on, but nobody buys the fucking thing and I've seen it there for years, and the frets are wearing out before it's even left the shop :spock:

Most guitars are very playable, and it feels like they actually put time and effort into the guitars in this particular store.

However, they also have the absolut most amount of sharp fret ends I've ever encountered as well. Not only maple necked Strats, but even Gibsons and Ibanez guitars had sharp fret ends.

So, how's your locan music/guitar stores?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
have you tried, y'know, telling these stores that their stock needs setups? ;)

I told a staff member that the guitar I was trying had dead strings. He restrung it and got it back in my hands promptly. I wasnt buying it, but customer service was still upheld.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you tried, y'know, telling these stores that their stock needs setups? ;)

I told a staff member that the guitar I was trying had dead strings. He restrung it and got it back in my hands promptly. I wasnt buying it, but customer service was still upheld.
Glad to hear they care about the customers dude!

I don't think I would bother. "Back in the days" when I didn't know much about guitar setups I would go there and get similar setups on mine. They have the same guy doing that still.

When I first got a Floyd Rose I was wondering about A FRET BUZZ...

He crooked the neck and raised the Floyd without even loosing string tension and the fucking thing became completely unplayable. I would never go there for a guitar setup again whatsoever.

Ok so he did make that fret buzz go away... But so did I also after setting up the guitar again to my liking and just adjusting the tension plate holders of the hex screws :p

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I just assume it's not going to be setup to my preferences, so I just check to make sure everything looks like its within tolerances for adjustability, check to see if I like how it sounds and if there's any dead areas or bad fretwork.

He crooked the neck and raised the Floyd without even loosing string tension and the fucking thing became completely unplayable.
How do you do it? I don't think I've ever once loosened the strings to raise the posts.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just assume it's not going to be setup to my preferences, so I just check to make sure everything looks like its within tolerances for adjustability, check to see if I like how it sounds and if there's any dead areas or bad fretwork.

How do you do it? I don't think I've ever once loosened the strings to raise the posts.
Dead areas can move with different stings, I had a Fender HM Strat that died out completely on the G string at 14th fret.
I put on heavier strings anf the dead note moved to 16th fret, but not as critical, it sustained a LITTLE longer.

Completely removed the dead spot by setting the headstock to a table. But cant do that every day. Sold the fucking thing.

I loosen strings and then pull the Floyd away from the posts to prevent unneccesary wearing on the edges while screwing the stud up or down

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Dead areas can move with different stings, I had a Fender HM Strat that died out completely on the G string at 14th fret.
I put on heavier strings anf the dead note moved to 16th fret, but not as critical, it sustained a LITTLE longer.

Completely removed the dead spot by setting the headstock to a table. But cant do that every day. Sold the fucking thing.
I play bass, i know a thing or two about dead spots. It's harder to finder a bass without a dead spot between the 5-9th fret on the D or G string than it is to find one with it. One of my basses has a C# deadspot on it right now, but I determined I can remove it by switching to ultralight tuners (reducing the weight of the tuners by a full 1/3rd). I just gotta save up for the tuners :lol:

I loosen strings and then pull the Floyd away from the posts to prevent unneccesary wearing on the edges while screwing the stud up or down
That's goddamn tedious :lol: Unless you're twisting that fucker around 3-5 rotations every day, I don't think you're going to make a difference. On my current guitar, I set the stud height for the bridge almost a year ago and haven't touched it since.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I play bass, i know a thing or two about dead spots. It's harder to finder a bass without a dead spot between the 5-9th fret on the D or G string than it is to find one with. One of my basses has a C# deadspot on it right now, but I determined I can remove it by switching to ultralight tuners (reducing the weight of the tuners by a full 1/3rd). I just gotta save up for the tuners :lol:

That's goddamn tedious :lol: Unless you're twisting that fucker around 3-5 rotations every day, I don't think you're going to make a difference. On my current guitar, I set the stud height for the bridge almost a year ago and haven't touched it since.
Good to know, thanks, I will keep that in mind next time I'm buying a bass. I'm looking forwars to a white/black Sandberg 5-string. :)
Is it the same on 4 and 5 strings?

Exactly, you do it once and then it's set; I don't do it often either. That way the extra 5 minutes of loosening the strings isn't that much in the perspective of a lifespan

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I've experienced it on 4, 5, and 6 string basses. In my experience it has to do with mostly with headstock mass. I've noticed its more common in different areas on different brands. Fenders are usually on the G string, Ricks and Ibanez usually are on the D string. Doesn't matter if its dual trussrod or single trussrod.

I've found that Ibanez's Titanium rod reinforced necks aren't nearly as prone to this as others.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Not once have I bought a guitar, pro set up or otherwise, that I didn't have to make changes to so that it worked how I like it. So to answer the question posed in the OP..No.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've experienced it on 4, 5, and 6 string basses. In my experience it has to do with mostly with headstock mass. I've noticed its more common in different areas on different brands. Fenders are usually on the G string, Ricks and Ibanez usually are on the D string. Doesn't matter if its dual trussrod or single trussrod.

I've found that Ibanez's Titanium rod reinforced necks aren't nearly as prone to this as others.
Well, I'm after a Jazz bass style, and my bass is always in the back ground doing nothing buy keeping the rhythm.

So I guess I'm lucky not having to worry about dead spots on the G string :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts