Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always have because, well... Steve Vai does it! And now I'm not so sure. I think it cuts down on spring squeak, but is it killing energy transfer to the body and thus sustain?

I'm setting up my RG7620 and am going to leave the wadded up Kleenex out of the cavity for now and see, but I was wondering what you guys think. :cool:

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
I did put rubber tubes over the springs until I realized how tedious and boring it was. Also I no longer care if there is extra little noises.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've never bothered really. I've never had trem noise be that much of an issue. If I was going to do something then I'd just put a layer of tape across the springs. I actually like the little verb the springs can cause sometimes so it's not that much of an issue.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
I never noticed how noisy those springs were until just now. Great. Now I'll have to see if I have duct tape. Might also have some air-tubing laying around. Hmm...

·
V-boi
140 Posts
I put foam under the springs, and I also have a Big Brass Block too so I dont worry too much bout sustain n tone stuff with that bad boy, I love those things

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I took the Kleenex out and the trem is not making wicked noise. I think I have an easier time achieving controlled feedback, which tells me the body is resonating a bit more. Guitar sounds good. I dunno but I may try the inner tube method :yesway:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts