Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what the thought process behind it is. One of my goals recently with music was to be able to play what I hear in my head. Specifically melodies and the chord progression behind it. I began playing piano a year ago and taking courses for piano at daytona state college. In the past month I've been able to hear a simple melody and play it. Sometimes If I hit a note a song will pop in my head like this morning I hit a F5 chord on F2 and C3 and I thought "little drummer boy" I played the vocal melody and checked sheet music to see if it was right. Its not much right now, but it feels very rewarding. I don't think I am able to do that on guitar because of the tone of the guitar. It just doesnt sound right to me.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It's not really a thought process, just an annoying *ability* to hear specific notes when you're trying to listen to music :p

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not really a thought process, just an annoying *ability* to hear specific notes when you're trying to listen to music :p
What about on the creative side, when you're trying to create something wouldn't it be easier to know what music you hear in your head?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I hear music in my head all the time. It doesn't take me more than a few seconds to find it on the guitar, and I don't really need to know that it's a middle C1 or whatever :)

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear music in my head all the time. It doesn't take me more than a few seconds to find it on the guitar, and I don't really need to know that it's a middle C1 or whatever :)
Has it always been like that since a young age or does it become better over time while playing an instrument?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Well, I didn't have it right outta the box. It definitely took a few years for it to develop, but having always been around music as a kid certainly helped it come faster to me, I think.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I didn't have it right outta the box. It definitely took a few years for it to develop, but having always been around music as a kid certainly helped it come faster to me, I think.
Theres a guy on facebook who has been showing videos of his young kid showing absolute pitch. He says it wouldn't have been possible without earing training him since he was a toddler. Im curious to know if it is something you'll know by the time you're 5 or so. I dont think I've been able to do this on guitar because the same note on different strings has a different tone and it isn't always perfectly in tune with each other. I have a lot of trouble going to live shows if the musicians aren't perfectly in tune, especially the vocals. Since I started playing piano I've been hearing things and knowing where it is on the piano. Yesterday Lean On Me popped in my head and I played the chords, checked it on sheet music and it was right.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I don't know if 'perfect pitch' sense will automatically translate to 'sounding great'. I mean you'd need the corresponding mechanical/finger skills, sense of melody/timing & stuff as well. The good news is if you're improvising you'll know when your fucking up instead of just being oblivious & carrying on like someone with a tin ear :lol:

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if 'perfect pitch' sense will automatically translate to 'sounding great'. I mean you'd need the corresponding mechanical/finger skills, sense of melody/timing & stuff as well. The good news is if you're improvising you'll know when your fucking up instead of just being oblivious & carrying on like someone with a tin ear :lol:
I dont look at absolute pitch as the ability to know what automatically sounds good. Music is so so subjective. Whether or not something is "good" is up to the listener. If you make you're own music then you are the first listener. When I make music it has to be something i can put on repeat 800 times. It doesnt mean other people will like it, but if I love it then mission accomplished.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I dont look at absolute pitch as the ability to know what automatically sounds good. Music is so so subjective. Whether or not something is "good" is up to the listener. If you make you're own music then you are the first listener. When I make music it has to be something i can put on repeat 800 times. It doesnt mean other people will like it, but if I love it then mission accomplished.
Yeah, and that's the whole point really. (But that's also where a good sense of pitch would be useful..)

Sometimes folk play/sing ridiclously out of key/bend horribly etc & it still sounds "right" (to them). I suppose everyone does stuff like that from time to time...but if it's way more the norm than the exception chances are that other people won't be as appreciative..

With improvisation it's kind of the ability to know what you want to play & have the ability to play it ~ in real time. (Then there's the art of instantaneous damage control..the quick slides & bends that save the moment.. :p)

·
Registered
517 Posts
absolute pitch is the ability to hear a note, and immediately know what note that is...many claim it's a innate ability.
the drawback, as you stated, is that if you listen to somebody that is not perfectly in tune, it will give you more discomfort than it would do to a person that doesn't have absolute pitch, or even make you unable to recognize the notes since they are off.

source: a fellow student of my teacher had absolute pitch...and he was also an absolute bitch :roll2:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yeah, and that's the whole point really. (But that's also where a good sense of pitch would be useful..)

Sometimes folk play/sing ridiclously out of key/bend horribly etc & it still sounds "right" (to them). I suppose everyone does stuff like that from time to time...but if it's way more the norm than the exception chances are that other people won't be as appreciative..

With improvisation it's kind of the ability to know what you want to play & have the ability to play it ~ in real time. (Then there's the art of instantaneous damage control..the quick slides & bends that save the moment.. :p)
You don't need perfect/absolute pitch to be able to do the things you describe, just a good sense of relative pitch and knowledge of the fretboard.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
absolute pitch is the ability to hear a note, and immediately know what note that is...many claim it's a innate ability.
the drawback, as you stated, is that if you listen to somebody that is not perfectly in tune, it will give you more discomfort than it would do to a person that doesn't have absolute pitch, or even make you unable to recognize the notes since they are off.

source: a fellow student of my teacher had absolute pitch...and he was also an absolute bitch :roll2:
Except that it's not nessesarily that book-ish. Someone with absolute pitch may not nessesarily be a musician or know names of musical notes. He/she may however be able to match them by ear to the exact same notes played with ..say a pitch-pipe/keyboard or whatever (...I guess while that's relative it's also absolute). don't believe stuff like that can be taught or learned. (seems like an innate ability to me)

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
You don't need perfect/absolute pitch to be able to do the things you describe, just a good sense of relative pitch and knowledge of the fretboard.
Agreed. But I'd add "instinct" (or something like that) too..it's actually intuitive.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Learn your fretboard and you will be way farther ahead than worrying about perfect pitch.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Learn your fretboard and you will be way farther ahead than worrying about perfect pitch.
thats true, but i've been doing better with piano than guitar. Im not sure why. I can visualize the melodies I play on piano than guitar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts