Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I dug the living shit out of the PAF Pro in Chris's RG550, and I kind of want to throw one in the neck of my UV if the PAF7 is close enough. I just don't know if it's based on the PAF or the PAF Pro, and how the 7 compares to the 6. :yesway:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I have both the PAF Pro and the PAF 7 and I'd say they're pretty close. I love the PAF 7's. They are a little lower output, but they are really awesome.

I think you will dig it in the neck.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've never played a PAF Pro, but PSP's Agile 7 has a PAF 7 in the neck and it sounds awesome. Very clear and almost single-coily.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Not close at all, sorry. the paf pro is that bit hotter that makes all the difference to me, the paf is ok, but not particularly spectacular. For instance, i had a paf7 in a 2127, was, well, not particularly inspiring, and have a paf pro in my s540 which rocks like a bastard. pretty much similar construction 9mahogony with bolt on maple neck) so i can pretty much say they're just not the same.

Same as the paf pro rokkin like dokken in basswood rg's and the old jems, but the paf7 just doesn't bring the same level of awesomeness at all, in fact, a bit dissapointing.

So, I'd say beware.

Actually, it's comparable to the difference between the fred and mo joe. I am not a massive fan of the fred (it's ok, but not awesome) but love the mojoe as it's just hotter and has that awesome thickness to notes when soloing and that smoothness comparable to the paf pro.

But, your mileage may vary, paf7's tend to not sell well (difficult to get rid of) so it'd be a cheap experiment anyway :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:/ That's discouraging, James. Good point, though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used one. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You could always get something custom made from Vintage Vibe. Eric's 7-P90's he had the guy build him sound pretty much amazing. I'm going to be going with this guy for the pickups in Mac (27" LP project).

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
As James said, they are not the same. The PAF7 lacks the midrange and output that the PAF PRO has. There actually is a PAF PRO7 that was created by the custom shop, but that was only available to artists. (At least back when I cared about Dimarzios - no idea now.)

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
You could always get something custom made from Vintage Vibe. Eric's 7-P90's he had the guy build him sound pretty much amazing. I'm going to be going with this guy for the pickups in Mac (27" LP project).
:agreed:

Pete's service is so good and his prices are so reasonable,$175 for a set of humbucker sized P-90s that were delivered in a week, that I fail to see the reason to buy anything off the shelf anymore.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As James said, they are not the same. The PAF7 lacks the midrange and output that the PAF PRO has. There actually is a PAF PRO7 that was created by the custom shop, but that was only available to artists. (At least back when I cared about Dimarzios - no idea now.)
Iiiiinteresting... I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask about it. :shrug:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve Blucher just wrote back, saying they sound fairly similar and if I like the Pro I'll probably get on well with the 7. Admittedly, he's probably paid to say that, but I figure I lose nothing by giving it a try. :shrug:

·
Banned
2,695 Posts

Note the Hex poles. Those are PAF Pro 7's. They really do sound completely different - the mid range is WAY more accentuated, and the magnetic field, is of course different, because of the dual rows of adjustable allen-key doo-dads.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're not helping, dude. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Note the Hex poles. Those are PAF Pro 7's. They really do sound completely different - the mid range is WAY more accentuated, and the magnetic field, is of course different, because of the dual rows of adjustable allen-key doo-dads.
What the hell is that, besides the obvious (Ibanez)?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Steve Blucher just wrote back, saying they sound fairly similar and if I like the Pro I'll probably get on well with the 7. Admittedly, he's probably paid to say that, but I figure I lose nothing by giving it a try. :shrug:
From what I hear, Steve is a straight forward, no-bullshit kind of guy.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I used to have an apartment that was literally like a few miles from Dimarzio, and I would drive by it pretty much everyday, and I so badly wanted to just pull in there with a handful of pickups and be like "Hey, can you guys rewind these really quick? I'll be back in like a few hours".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts