Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a band once a few years back and their guitarist used half round strings. It sounded intense! Good tone, it was clear and it was heavy as hell!!! Im just wondering if anyone here has used them and what you thought of them. I have heard mixed things about half rounds thus far. Thanks guys!

4,429 Posts
Can't say I have. Seems to be advertised as sounding like round wounds but feeling like flat wounds. Is that the case or do they end up sounding somewhere in-between?

If they are somewhere in between I'd definitely prefer regular strings for guitar. But for bass I'd be interested as I love the sounds of both for different things but currently only have one bass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im gonna give them a try. Its worth a shot, I'll crank my Marshall, let the tubes get hot and see what comes out. I have heard that they feel a little odd to play and that it takes some getting used to. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I doubt that the majority of what you heard was the strings, but it could be possible. I've played half rounds on other guitars and my bass players uses half-rounds and I like them, but don't know if I'd go and make the switch exclusively to them. It was more feel than anything for me.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
I tried them and hated them. The way they're ground down left them feeling rough. I thought they would chew up my frets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts