Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just strung a .068" Elixir for the Low B on my RG7620...I will be setting the intonation soon when I get a chance but before I do I had a quick question. I want to play in B standard but I also want to start playing/writing in drop A. Is my intonation going to change or go out if I intonate the guitar in standard B then play in drop A, or vice versa? If it does can I "split the difference" so to speak and intonate the low B tuned to B flat, to kind of split the intonation difference from B to A? Hopefully this makes sense to somebody out there :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It does change slightly but unless you plan on playing past the 12th fret on the low string you shouldn't have to worry too much. Its similar to playing in Drop D on a six unless you are super anal about it you just lower the string by a step and rock out :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not a big deal, I switch back and forth on my 7421 all the time and there's no issues.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Not sure how your trem will affect it, however, I also do this all the time! What my mate gets me to do with his trem guitars, is intonate everything properly besides his E string, and give him enough room to just drop it to D using the fine tuners. Works for him, I know it seems a bit silly, but it does the trick I suppose.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I don't really see how it would change too much if you are using the same strings. Intonation is a function of nut to bridge distance and intonation fine-tunes that distance. Lowering the tuning slightly doesn't change the way a string vibrates, as long as the distance between the nut and the bridge is correct, and the frets are in the right place, any pitch should be correct, even if you down-tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts