Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have NO idea if anyone makes such a thing, and my Google skillz apparently suck cuz I can't find a damn thing about it.

Does anyone out there make an audio compressor unit that uses Optical Cable ins/outs? I'd DIE to put on in my home theater system so even out the audio between channels even more than what my satellite system does. It works ok, but it could be so much better.

·
18,790 Posts
Can't work, the optical/digital signals being sent are encoded, so it would have to decode the Dolby Digital/DTS stream, compress the audio, then re-encode to Dolby Digital/DTS.

Incidentally, this is kind of what Dolby Volume does, which is a new feature on a lot of TVs/recievers.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I have NO idea if anyone makes such a thing, and my Google skillz apparently suck cuz I can't find a damn thing about it.

Does anyone out there make an audio compressor unit that uses Optical Cable ins/outs? I'd DIE to put on in my home theater system so even out the audio between channels even more than what my satellite system does. It works ok, but it could be so much better.
by "even out" do you mean treble 10, gain 10, presence 10 bass 10, mids -infinity?

because if you do.... awesome \m/

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by "even out" do you mean treble 10, gain 10, presence 10 bass 10, mids -infinity?

because if you do.... awesome \m/
Clearly you don't know the difference between a compressor and an equalizer :fawk:

Now, this brings up a good point.... anyone know of an equalizer that works on Optical cables? :lol:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm... 8K for the Weiss is way to expensive... and frankly so is 1k for the TC :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Hmm... 8K for the Weiss is way to expensive... and frankly so is 1k for the TC :lol:
Weiss also makes an EQ. Though it's 8k or so too! :D

For a while DBX made a digital compressor that I think had optical ins and outs, but I'm not sure. They're not made anymore, but you can find them on the eBay.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
It might not be real cheap either but I would think you could also build yourself a PC that would do this. You'd need a decent PC, an audio card that had optical in/out and surround processing capabilities and then some software that was capable of processing on the fly. It would likely be messy as hell and would be a whole lot of work. As some one already mentioned you might be screwed by the digital encoding as well. I can't say I've ever tried to decode an incoming DTS/Dolby surround signal.

In any case. If you find something. Don't tell my wife. I'd have to buy one. She's a notorious "volume rider". Drives me nucking futz! :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts