Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My guitar player is currently taking care of Maxi, a shelter dog on the weekends. Maxi decided to run around and knock over his Les Paul Studio. This is the result:

:(

Luckily, he has a friend who works at said shelter who also fixes guitars. Should be able to reglue that headstock just fine.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Easy fix. If the dog had not done it something else would have!

I find it amazing that Gibson persist in making headstocks with that critical 14 or something degree pitch that is most prone to cracking.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Why do they do that anyways?

I have had guitars with out that pitch work just fine.. though the joints one them looks skecthy :lol: they all were fine.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Easy fix. If the dog had not done it something else would have!
:agreed:

I find it amazing that Gibson persist in making headstocks with that critical 14 or something degree pitch that is most prone to cracking.
Their customers hated the 3-piece necks, and they hated the volutes, so they returned to the old, fragile way of building necks. Maple necks, volutes and scarf joints all make this much less likely to happen.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Ah..that would explain alot for me then :lol: I have knocked over my guitars a few times...Not on propose :ugh: and NEVER had a neck problem..at least not with the headstock detatching from the neck.

Guess this is a damn good reason NOT to buy a gibson :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Man, it seems like every time I see a break like that, 99/100 times it's a Les Paul. Sucks, but as said, should be an easy fix.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

Their customers hated the 3-piece necks, and they hated the volutes, so they returned to the old, fragile way of building necks. Maple necks, volutes and scarf joints all make this much less likely to happen.
That's just ridiculous, too. I don't know about everyone else, but I fuckin' love volutes.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That's just ridiculous, too. I don't know about everyone else, but I fuckin' love volutes.
You're also not a 50+ year old lawyer who thinks no one has surpassed Jimmy Page.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
:agreed: I love how when you are playing open chords at the nut, you can just nestle the cavity between your first finger and thumb right up against it. So comfy.

Also, fuck Gibson. I am selling mine.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
My electra fell at band practice and suffered the same fracture :(

I fixed it myself using Gorilla Wood glue. If it breaks again, it won't be in the same place!

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Any guitar repair shop will be pretty used to fixing these. It shouldn't be much trouble to get fixed. That still sucks, though. :(

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I fuckin' love volutes.

You're also not a 50+ year old lawyer who thinks no one has surpassed Jimmy Page.

Vintage Les Paul fanatics are some of the most uselessly obsessive people on Earth.

Anyone who's actually played Les Pauls, and not simply put them in a display case, know that there are gems and dogs from any era, and the volute, maple neck, and neck tenon have nothing to do with it. The argument against the maple neck is the most valid, since it is the most likely modification to affect the tone, but I've never found it to make a huge difference. My mahogany-necked Heritage sounds remarkably similar to the old maple-necked Les Pauls I used to own.

As for the break on that Studio, that's a very clean break and should be easily fixable with very little visible evidence if done by someone who knows what they're doing.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Hell, I actually prefer the sound of the maple necks (if it is a gem and not a dog). I'm not much of a fan of mahogany necks.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Hell, I actually prefer the sound of the maple necks (if it is a gem and not a dog). I'm not much of a fan of mahogany necks.
I totally agree when it comes to high-gain sounds. If you're sonic goal is closer to John Sykes than to Peter Green, then it helps to have the maple neck. My Heritage is such a heavy beast, that it doesn't seem to matter.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Routine fix, done easily over a hundred...that being said though, I've personally owned over 50 Gibsons, and have never had this happen. How about people exercising some forethought and responsibility, and take measures to ensure this doesn't happen if they're aware that it's a possibility. Then again, these accidents do keep me in work. :)

I try to ignore the Gibson hatred in most of the metal/ERG forums, as I love both old and new schools of design. I've had the opportunity to play (and own) many original 50's & 60's Gibson's (including a few bursts, V's, explorers, SG/LP's, reverse Firebirds, 335's, etc), and indeed there are some dogs here and there, but a good one is something special - and it's not that they necessarily made them better all the time, but after 50 years the wood and glue joints have really dried-out and stabilized, and there's really something about the tone and the feel, it's worn and buttery...new axes just do not have it.

Sorry to wax on reverently, but I do love old Gibsons. My '58 LP Jr has required maybe 3 truss rod adjustments in the (seriously) past 15 years, I've seen no other guitar with as stable a neck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts