Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
It's absolutely criminal that this circuit was ripped apart solely for bargaining leverage against Silverstone. The way things unfolded in the press. It was pretty obvious that Bernie had no intention of ever moving the Grand Prix from Silverstone. He just decided to use Donnington as a sacrificial lamb to get what he wanted out of the BRDC.

Unlike Silverstone's "new" layout. The proposed update for Donington was a much better driver's circuit, IMHO. You ended up with a longer front straight compared to it's original location. And the phenomenal run of corners from Redgate all the way to McLean's would've remained nearly unchanged.

Well I hope Silverstone's new layout produces a good race for this season. Because at this point, all I see Bernie doing is taking a dump all over the heritage that made motorsports in the UK.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Isn't it the place where the Download Festival is held ?
Well, kinda, the track is there, but you're not allowed on it anymore. Well, you weren't the last 2 years. It's held in the surrounding land mainly.

Also, that is an absolute fucking disgrace. That place was just as much a national landmark, if not more so than Silverstone. If you ever ask someone what the most prominent racetrack in British history is, they either say "Donington Park" or "that other spot, what's it called?"

Does that not tell you something?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I think most people know Silverstone over Donington, given it's been the face of British racing internationally since Brooklands near enough, but this is such a crying shame. I felt really, really sad watching that, because I just remember the amount of times I've been there and seen fantastic racing (WSBK, BSB, World Series by Renault etc), and now it gets reduced to this sorry state.

I literally want to break the shins of everyone involved in doing this.

Well, kinda, the track is there, but you're not allowed on it anymore. Well, you weren't the last 2 years. It's held in the surrounding land mainly.
Not when I went it wasn't, it was held in the land in the middle of the track. Then again that was 2005.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think most people know Silverstone over Donington, given it's been the face of British racing internationally since Brooklands near enough, but this is such a crying shame. I felt really, really sad watching that, because I just remember the amount of times I've been there and seen fantastic racing (WSBK, BSB, World Series by Renault etc), and now it gets reduced to this sorry state.

I literally want to break the shins of everyone involved in doing this.

Not when I went it wasn't, it was held in the land in the middle of the track. Then again that was 2005.

Kill them. :)

You're both right; Download moved out of the centre of the track a couple of years back.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Jonathan Palmer is interested in purchasing. But there's an awful lot of repair work needed just to get it back to it's original state.

EXCLUSIVE Palmer 'wouldn't rule out' Donington purchase | F1 News | Mar 2010 | Crash.Net

what is so, so sad is that a great track has been despoiled badly. There's been a lot of damage done to it and it's going to take a lot of money to repair that damage. It's also going to take a lot of money to do the ongoing maintenance, repairs and renewals that the circuit should have had; anyone who has been there recently will know that the access roads are potholed. It's in a very shabby state, and all that is very sad indeed.

"I hope [Donington still has a future as a racing circuit], but I'm not sure, because it's going to need a lot of money to sort it out. That's doable, but it's difficult to see where the upside commercially is really going to come from now. They've obviously not got the Formula 1 - not that I think that's a big problem - but they haven't got MotoGP anymore, they've not got World Superbikes either and as the promoters of British Superbikes we've had to pull the round there, because clearly we can't have whole teams and TV and ticket sales when the event may well not happen.
It's really unfortunate how this all turned out. :noway:

Like I said earlier in the thread. The proposed layout was much more of a drivers' circuit than what Silverstone is currently being modified as.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Man, if it had worked out, that video of the circuit looks awesome :(

Die Bernie. Die Max. Die Herman. Die Simon Cunthisface

1 - 10 of 10 Posts