Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I actually think the SNES original looks WAY better than that (graphically). :lol:

I loved every Donkey Kong Country game that came out, but I guess the fact that this new one looks more primative than the originals really speaks negatively about the Wii. :lol:

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I actually think the SNES original looks WAY better than that (graphically). :lol:

I loved every Donkey Kong Country game that came out, but I guess the fact that this new one looks more primative than the originals really speaks negatively about the Wii. :lol:
oh its just the video, it will look better than you think i suspect.

also, diddy was oddly absent from that...

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The 3D rendering in the video is WAY better than the SNES could ever hope for. However, the SNES titles have a very rich oversaturated colorness about them. I think that' may make it look "better" to the eye. But yeah, playing the originals even now speaks volumes about what the SNES was capable of. The graphics have aged VERY well.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
The 3D rendering in the video is WAY better than the SNES could ever hope for. However, the SNES titles have a very rich oversaturated colorness about them. I think that' may make it look "better" to the eye. But yeah, playing the originals even now speaks volumes about what the SNES was capable of. The graphics have aged VERY well.
:lol: Well, duh. The original isn't even 3D. It's 2D made to look 3D. But I think that almost claymation-like style fits the series better than this cartoony 3D look they're going for.

I agree tha tthe oversaturated colors may be part of what made the originals look so much better.

The SNES was looking pretty damn good at the very end, but it never really did true 3D (I think there might be a few games that had true 3D, but that sucked big time). It had a ton of 2D games disguised at 3D, though, such as Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario RPG.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I'll probably have to check this out.

IIRC, the SNES had two 3D games, at least here in the States. One was Star Fox, and I forget what the other one was. I think Japan also got Star Fox 2. It required an extra chip in the cartridge, though, and probably wasn't capable of anything much more complex than Star Fox or Doom. I think I agree about the pre-rendered sprites probably suiting the games more than this, but it doesn't look bad.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I'm a huge fan of isometric games like the Fallout series, Baldur's Gate, and Planescape Torment. I'm actually playing through Planescape Torment again right now, which I consider to be one of the top 10 or maybe even top 5 best games ever made. :yesway:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
nice! I wasn't into these games that much, but my kid is. Gonna buy it for him.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll probably have to check this out.

IIRC, the SNES had two 3D games, at least here in the States. One was Star Fox, and I forget what the other one was. I think Japan also got Star Fox 2. It required an extra chip in the cartridge, though, and probably wasn't capable of anything much more complex than Star Fox or Doom. I think I agree about the pre-rendered sprites probably suiting the games more than this, but it doesn't look bad.
The other game was Stunt Race FX, and it was baaaaad. :lol:
Star Fox was awesome though. Ever play the english patch of Star Fox 2? If you look around you can find a ROM of it. It's a shame it was never released (here or Japan) because it looked good, and gave you full freedom of motion, rather than being on rails.

The super FX chip was pretty impressive for what it did. Super FX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:bump: for an updated gameplay trailer!

After watching this second video, I actually kinda like it now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts