Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've been playing Addario's EXL116 Medium Top/Heavy Bottom (11 14 18 30 42 52) hybrids for a long time in E standard. I plan of tuning one of my guitars to B for some doom-ish sludgery...

Which set of strings should I get for a similar feel and tension? Please point me towards something, before I spend a ton of money on string sets I end up not using...

Any and all input welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edit: 25-1/2" scale lenght super-strat

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
if you want to tune to B just use whatever you are comfortable with in E standard and take the highest string out. Add in something like a 68 if you are using a 52 for E.

I tune to B and use 12 16 24 34 46 60 - I like 'skinny top heavy bottom' feel.

I find the baritone string sets other than the 13 - 62 daddario set to be horribly unbalanced as you usually get given something like a 56 for the E string which to me, is insanity.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting.

Yes, the Elixir baritones 12/16/22/38/52/68 do look great "in theory"...

I like that hybrid skinny/medium top feeling too.

I might get a set to try them out. What else is out there in worth checking? As set, not as singles.

Anyone tried the GHS Boomers Heavyweight Low Tunes (11/14/18/36/52/70)? What do you think of these?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

I use 13-62 daddarios for B standard and 14-68 for drop A# both on 27 inch baritones. The 11-70 set feels like shit, I tried them a few years back. The high end feels like rubber bands and that makes the low end feel even more like rebar with the 70 feeling like a girder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For B standard on a 25.5", I like using the 7 string Power Slinky without the high E. Although if I had the choice, I'd probably rather a 60 to the 58 on the B. Also, I just recently tried replacing the F# with a 20 wound thereby only having 1 plain string. Sounds strange but I think I like it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your input!

I've decided to order a set of Elixir Baritones (12-68) and a set of DAddarios Baritone Lights (13-62), to find out which ones I like the most. I'll keep you posted!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
if you want to tune to B just use whatever you are comfortable with in E standard and take the highest string out. Add in something like a 68 if you are using a 52 for E.

I tune to B and use 12 16 24 34 46 60 - I like 'skinny top heavy bottom' feel.

I find the baritone string sets other than the 13 - 62 daddario set to be horribly unbalanced as you usually get given something like a 56 for the E string which to me, is insanity.
This man is correct. At 25.5 just using standard seven string set gauges is your best bet.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Will you have to drill out a tuning peg for 68? When i tuned to b standard i played 13-56
my experience is that most tuning pegs will take up to a 68. I had to drill a peg in an RG7620 to get a 70 through it but my current 1527 will take a 70 no problem.

If you have sperzels you will have issues as they will only take up to a 56.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Taking the high E off a 7 set will leave you with a wound 3rd. Pros - more stable tuning and slightly nicer overtones. Cons - horrible to bend (need a lot more bend for the same change in pitch).

Going from 11-52 in E, in B you're probably going to want at least 13, maybe 14 through to maybe 64-68. As a rule of thumb, starting from a high E, every semitone down is about 0.001", so if you had 9s in E, then it would be 10s in Eb, 11s in D, etc. By that logic, you'd be after 16-something, which seems a bit excessive to me. Maybe the rule of thumb is off a bit, but err toward the thicker side, based on what you like now.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your input!

I've decided to order a set of Elixir Baritones (12-68) and a set of DAddarios Baritone Lights (13-62), to find out which ones I like the most. I'll keep you posted!
Oh.

Note to self - read thread before waffling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts