Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Creeping in your sheets
222 Posts
Most def dubbed :lol: you can hear a bunch of cut and paste skips...right of the bat at 0:26 lol and so on....

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you hear Dragonforce, it's almost always either going to suck (live) or sound ridiculously clean (studio wizardry). I've heard they pull it off live once in a while, but that obviously doesn't make up for their generic songwriting. Seriously, these guys would be nothing without Guitar Hero.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
When you hear Dragonforce, it's almost always either going to suck (live) or sound ridiculously clean (studio wizardry). I've heard they pull it off live once in a while, but that obviously doesn't make up for their generic songwriting. Seriously, these guys would be nothing without Guitar Hero.
They can pull it off live when:
A. They aren't drinking
B. They aren't jumping around like maniacs all over the stage
C. They are actually trying to play and not just making crazy faces and laughing like lunatics while pretty much ignoring their fretboards.
D. They give a shit.

I've mentioned this before, but I saw them live at a festival and they sucked really really bad for the first half of the show, jumping around, going crazy, and just bat-shit-off-the-walls. But eventually they got tired and stopped and when they actually stood still and played, they actually could play well. Before that point: the tempo was too fast, they were slightly off time, and the solos and rhythm guitar was really sloppy. Afterwards, it was a lot better. The tempo went more normal, they were on time, and the guitars were a lot less sloppy. The singer and keyboard player were the only two members of the band who seemed to actually be doing a decent job the whole time.

So I assume, if they really wanted to make a decent live album (forget the songwriting. We're talking about performance here), they could do it.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Theres no excuse for their lackluster performance live when their shit isn't even difficult compared to bands like Origin, who are tighter than the kind of woman jj goes after.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I saw them live a few years back at a festival and they were terrible, so sloppy. The guitars sounded awful and their playing was all over the place, I had expected a lot more from them. Afterwards I learned that they are notorious for it, and I don't think being drunk is a viable excuse for regular bad performances.
They more than likely touched up the live album in the studio, most people do with live albums to some extent anyway.

·
Hasta la vista, Baby
384 Posts
Agreed with Naren. Dragonforce have gained their "can't pull off live" stigma because of the onstage stupidity. And Sam Totman has gained notoriety for been guilty of all of the above. Incidentally, he's also their main songwriter.
Ironically, Sam Totman's playing is really horrible sober or not :lol:

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Theres no excuse for their lackluster performance live when their shit isn't even difficult compared to bands like Origin, who are tighter than the kind of woman jj goes after.
Quoted for ultimate tr00f.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts

Emperoff said:
Agreed with Naren. Dragonforce have gained their "can't pull off live" stigma because of the onstage stupidity. And Sam Totman has gained notoriety for been guilty of all of the above. Incidentally, he's also their main songwriter.
Ironically, Sam Totman's playing is really horrible sober or not :lol:
Herman Ri isn't so bad, but what are they doing being drunk on the job? Its fine to have a few beers to loosen or whatever but being as drunk as Sam Titsman is flat out wrong, people pay to see them play not stumble around..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts