Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Oh hey- it's Greta Van Dream Theater. Meh- pretty much the same Post-Portnoy formulaic music we've been seeing: some fast chugga chugga verse riffing with sweeping pre-chorus power chords. At this point, I'm also pretty much over Petrucci's guitar tone. 2:90 / Triaxis Petrucci was the best toan. :(

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Looks like it's already been taken down.
That snare sounds fucking fantastic

Gotta say the mastering is a bit wack tho, the volume is noticably pumping up and down (it's annoying)
If it's that obvious, it wouldn't shock me if this started life as an unmastered rough mix, and someone did an amateur master butchery to it.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The song is up on Spotify at least if you want to hear it.
DO I want to hear it? DT post Kevin Moore has been kinda spotty, is this more of the same?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I thought the first five minutes were quite ok and was already surprised that they've toned down the shred a bit - but then Jordan Rudess comes in with his stupid synth wanking.

And at least it's not about Crown Prince Daryus fighting the evil Emperor Nafaryus, or whatever their last album was about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought the first five minutes were quite ok and was already surprised that they've toned down the shred a bit - but then Jordan Rudess comes in with his stupid synth wanking.
Is he using that stupid carnival calliope patch or does he at least have a descent lead tone on this one?

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Mike Mangini shines his talents on this track.
Dig it, way better than the first single.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I just wish they'd gather a producer who would push them to explore new avenues.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Definitely the best Mangini's drums have sounded on a DT record so far. That said, it sounds like the hi-hats have a stereo widener or something on them around 4:36 when they open up...and I wonder if that's where the bouncing up and down Rocka was talking about is coming from. Man, the more I listen the more it's getting to me. Hopefully it's just YouTube's compression because the rest of the tune seems pretty well mixed. I'm listening to "Untethered Angel" now and it's not as bad but in some sections it sounds like the cymbals are getting fucked with by a limiter or a compressor with ADD.

Someone mentioned this in a Blabbermouth comment recently, but the biggest thing people were talking about regarding the song was the mix instead of the song itself. I think we know what to expect out of them at this point and the two singles aren't breaking new ground for DT at all, so the only thing really different is the mix.

LaBrie seems pretty content in staying in the same range he's been in since 6 Degrees. Rudess didn't do anything crazy on here and that's fine, I'd rather not hear much from him than hear one more second of his ragtime bullshit. I really, really dig Petrucci's lead tones in this. His rhythm tone seems a bit restrained to me, I feel like it could be bigger. If you go from this tune right to "Lie", there's a massive difference in how much space the guitars are taking up. I suppose that's the trade off for how much they want Myung getting his space.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts