Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

DT is a band that I really didn't cared at all when they were on their prime, only recently I have been listening to their albums and enjoying them, although I still dont completely enjoy the vocals:

As part of curiosity I searched for their performance on Wacken and WTF is Labrie singing? It even sounds like someone who cant sing and has no clue what the lyrics are and its just making up... its terrible... :eek:

Ps- Why do I get this error when posting YT videos: The number of tags you tried to add exceeded the maximum number of tags by 20.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Not a big one for DT myself.

As for the tag thing, it usually comes up when you choose to preview the post first then post it. It auto adds tags from your post and for some reason it adds more than the allowable limit.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
That was pretty awful. In fairness, I skipped through, and I heard tracks from early in their career, (they even opened with a track from their debut which he didn't sing on) and those tracks are outside of his no-longer-a-young-man comfort zone. He does better on the songs from their more recent stuff.

As for liking his voice even when he's on form (which seems to be a bit of a rare thing live) or on the recordings, it was a barrier for me when I first got in to the band, but they kinda grew on me. I like it on some of the older stuff, but I'm not really interested in their newer music, so I don't really have to worry about letting his vocals grow on me.

Anyway, yeah, that sucked.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
DT taught me to ignore vocals. I cant stand LaBrie on DT stuff. His solo record is quite good tho.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
DT with Russell Allen, now THAT would be awesome.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I wonder all the time what they'd be like if they never added LaCheese. Erotomania and Dance Of Eternity are pretty good indications that it would've gone well.

But +1 to ***, whenever I show someone DT, I always say 'just ignore the vocals'

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Started off with one of my favorite Dream Theater songs, only to hear James butcher the fuck out of it.

Yeeeeah fuck this. :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Without LaBrie they don't have a hit single in "Pull Me Under", and the band disappears after two albums.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Yeah, this is pretty bad. The setlist itself is of zero help. Opening with a tune only older/bigger fans know and putting "Spirit Carries On" in the middle of a festival gig....poor choices. LaBrie is making every song sound boring as fuck. I've been a pretty major fan of these guys since '95, I was open and excited about the Mangini thing, but at this point, i really miss Portnoy in the band.

Ugh...just got to "Burning My Soul"...Labrie is breakin' all over the end of it.

Ps- Why do I get this error when posting YT videos: The number of tags you tried to add exceeded the maximum number of tags by 20.
When you hit Preview Post, it loads a ton of shit from your post into the Tags box.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
This is really unfortunate.

Labrie has been doing very, very well with his voice recently. I am not sure what is going on here?

*Waiting for Savatage & TSO Footage*

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
LaBrie was note-perfect the first time I saw DT in 1992. He got old. It happens. Not just that, but he's had to sing all night at the very top of his vocal range for almost 25 years. It's amazing his voice has lasted as well as it has.

I'm guessing that if he had any political power within DT, the vocal parts would have been consistently friendlier to his range over the years. I've always liked his voice, though I suppose it's not especially 'metal'.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DT taught me to ignore vocals. I cant stand LaBrie on DT stuff. His solo record is quite good tho.
And thats the odd thing right? He does an Heavy voice album and it sounds great and in DT he has that "voice" that most of the Power Metal and Progressive bands have and ruin the thing... at least for me. This was the N1 reason I couldn't stand DT when I was younger, also the 8-10-16 min songs didn't helped either, now I enjoy it without becoming bored after 3-4 min, but the voice is still something I have to abstract.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
As for the tag thing, it usually comes up when you choose to preview the post first then post it. It auto adds tags from your post and for some reason it adds more than the allowable limit.
Good sleuthing. :yesway: That should be fixed now. Preview away.

·
Singlecoil fetishist
68 Posts
He's making the misheard lyrics guys' jobs way too easy.

The intro song had Final Fantasy battle theme written all over it, dug it! :) Glad they're bringing old songs back into rotation, saw them last tour and 3 hours of songs I didn't know was no fun.

Unrelated, Myung! What a player.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I've always liked his vocals on the albums, but live its pretty hit or miss. I remember when I saw them on the anniversary tour, he was spot on, and some of the DVDs he does really well, but things like this are just a mess. I do have to wonder if he'd do any better if he didn't move all over the stage. That is obnoxious to watch the camera following him constantly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only redeeming quality of that video is you can actually hear John Myung for a change.

In fairness to Labrie, they're not on a real tour and he's probably not in peak shape. I don't know why he feels the need to constantly fuck with the melody though. It's not like he's changing it to make it easier to sing...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts