Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GoDDDammit.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"New York progressive metal veterans DREAM THEATER will take their Progressive Nation tour back on the road for its second incarnation with a run through America and Canada in July/August 2009.

In addition to a headlining set by DREAM THEATER, this year's package will feature the outstanding musicianship of ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA as well as two incredibly talented imports from Sweden: PAIN OF SALVATION and BEARDFISH."
Zappa Plays Zappa is just not suited to opening for anyone, let alone Dream Theater. Good bands, for those who are into them, but I can't imagine they'd work on the one bill.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Outstanding lineup!! I'm there.

I do agree about the oddness of ZPZ opening for DT, but ZPZ has played a daytime slot in a festival setting before at Bonnaroo, so I'm sure they can make it work. It'd be cool if some of the DT guys came out to jam with ZPZ--I'm pretty sure they're all Zappaheads.

BTW, Pain of Salvation hardly qualifies as "some other dorks". :) I guess Daniel Gildenlow changed his "never coming back to the USA" stance. Money has a way of doing that.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
BTW, Pain of Salvation hardly qualifies as "some other dorks". :) I guess Daniel Gildenlow changed his "never coming back to the USA" stance. Money has a way of doing that.
Daniel issued a condescending press release that basically said "Now that you Americans have done the right thing and elected Obama president, I will grace you with my presence again".

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Daniel issued a condescending press release that basically said "Now that you Americans have done the right thing and elected Obama president, I will grace you with my presence again".
What a cock! :lol:

Is he black? I could see maybe having a bad racial experience here and never wanting to come back, and then Obama's election making him reconsider, but if not...

·
Read Only
3 Posts
He's an über-liberal. When the Bush administration put in place the finger printing policy for anyone entering the US, Daniel said he'd never come back. Now that Bush is out of office, I guess he can come back, even though he'll still be finger printed.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
He's an über-liberal. When the Bush administration put in place the finger printing policy for anyone entering the US, Daniel said he'd never come back. Now that Bush is out of office, I guess he can come back, even though he'll still be finger printed.
To be fair to Daniel, he also had a bad experience touring the USA as a support musician for the Flower Kings a few years ago. The band was doing the tourist thing before their gig in NYC, and he got nabbed by the NYPD for taking a photo of the Brooklyn Bridge. In the end, I don't think he was actually charged with anything.

His anti-fingerprinting stance happened very shortly after that.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Either way, when you compare this tour to the last (Three, BTBAM, Opeth, and DT), you sort of have to, well, not exactly care. :/

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Damn, and that was why I voted Republican. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I always thought Dream Theater, Megadeth, Symphony X, Soilwork, In Flames would be a great bill. That's why I got so pumped up for the first Gigantour a few years back, seeing 3 of those bands together.

That's probably my dream show right now, actually. I'm a huge fan of all 5 bands.

·
GoDDDammit.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was mostly referring to Beardfish who I'm not familiar with and I figured most DT fans wouldn't be either. Pain Of Salvation's latest album rubbed me the wrong way, sounded like a poor man's Faith No More, but I'd be interested in properly investigating their older material. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I was mostly referring to Beardfish who I'm not familiar with and I figured most DT fans wouldn't be either. Pain Of Salvation's latest album rubbed me the wrong way, sounded like a poor man's Faith No More, but I'd be interested in properly investigating their older material. Any recommendations?
Their first couple of albums are the best ones. The weirdest one is "Be", which is as much weirdo background noise as conventional music. I like the fact that Gildenlow feels so free to experiment, even if the results are sometimes puzzling.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
As a Zappa fanboy, I care. This is a good lineup, albeit not as metal.
It's more the rest of the tour, as I'd be curious to see ZPZ as well. I wasn't really into BTBAM before seeing them, and really still aren't, though they put on a good show. But, forget Dream Theater - Opeth and Three were phenominal.

I'm not sure how metal you get, Chris, but check outsome Three if you ever get the chance. Amazing band.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
ZPZ should do a equal bill with someone good; like PT. PoS jumped the shark a long time ago, especially since Gildenlow has become some political nut job.

·
GoDDDammit.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Their first couple of albums are the best ones. The weirdest one is "Be", which is as much weirdo background noise as conventional music. I like the fact that Gildenlow feels so free to experiment, even if the results are sometimes puzzling.
Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Spinning One Hour By The Concrete Lake right now and it's not quite what I was expecting, but seems like the kind of thing that might grow on me. After looking into them a bit I've noticed that they're playing Mayones seven-strings, maybe I'll hook up an interview for ss.org, I'm sure it'd be interesting, to say the least.

It's more the rest of the tour, as I'd be curious to see ZPZ as well. I wasn't really into BTBAM before seeing them, and really still aren't, though they put on a good show. But, forget Dream Theater - Opeth and Three were phenominal.

I'm not sure how metal you get, Chris, but check outsome Three if you ever get the chance. Amazing band.
3 are kinda odd - what Coheed And Cambria are to Zeppelin and Rush, 3 are to ELP or It Bites or something. Poppy prog, but with an almost emo edge. They're not the sort of thing I listen to all the time, but they're definitely interesting. I was actually considering seeing them a year or so ago but they were opening for Atreyu or someone and I didn't feel like paying $100 for a half-hour set:lol:

·
18,790 Posts
3 are kinda odd - what Coheed And Cambria are to Zeppelin and Rush, 3 are to ELP or It Bites or something. Poppy prog, but with an almost emo edge. They're not the sort of thing I listen to all the time, but they're definitely interesting. I was actually considering seeing them a year or so ago but they were opening for Atreyu or someone and I didn't feel like paying $100 for a half-hour set:lol:
I'm a huge fan of 3 and would say your description misses the mark. Though, you really need to hear their earlier albums (pre-Wake Pig) to understand them fully. Their early stuff was a really cool blend of funk, pop and prog. Some songs sounded like Dave Matthews Band, some songs sounded like Pink Floyd, and through it all were amazing catchy melodies and Joey's incredible singing voice. Really, the new album might be my least favourite of theirs, and it's still incredible, though not really representative of their best work (at the very least, Joey's vocals sound overcompressed and don't show off his actual ability and range).

They put on a killer live show, also.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts

I just checked Three out. Very interesting! I'd be interested in checking them out live. I didn't get to see the last Progressive Nation tour, since it didn't come near D.C.

I don't really think of BTBAM as "progressive"--not as much so as Pain of Salvation. Beardfish is a new one to me, also. They're straight prog with no real metal content. Since I'm an old proghead from way back, I definitely want to check them out live.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts