Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this warmoth body and I'm drilling the holes for the pickup switch and the volume pot. I drill the holes, and that's fine. However, the top is so thick that the controls barely fit through.

Any advice on how to route the underside so the control go through farther? I don't want to accidentally drill through the top, and there's not much room in the control cavity for a real router.

Ideas?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
iv done that with a dremmel and either a ball shaped grinding bit or a barrle shaped grinding bit. Also, if you dont have a dremmel, you can get the bit and chuck it up in a good drill since its not really precision work what your doing

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Drill press and a Forstner bit. You can do it with a Dremel, but go slowly and make several very thin passes until you get to the right thickness. Don't try to take it all off at once.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drill press and a Forstner bit. You can do it with a Dremel, but go slowly and make several very thin passes until you get to the right thickness. Don't try to take it all off at once.
This will work great for the volume pot, but my switch is the StewMac free way (much bigger than a normal pot). Do you recommend that I do multiple presses with one bit, or do something different here?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It all depends on how deep the original cavity is to begin with. I had to do a bit of sculpting to fit the FreeWay switch into my Proto1, but i didn't have to remove the entire area under the "box" part of the switch.

It's a really cool switch, BTW. I just wish the toggle were a little bit shorter.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
you can get long-shaft pots that won't require any more routing, at lest for the pots. I have a V/T for EMGs (25k) as well as a 500k push/pull, if you're planning on using EMGs or a push-pull. all my guitar cavities are so jammed full of electronics that I can't use the long-shafts in place of shorts.

If you want them, let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts