Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rule #2: Double Tap
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting rid of my Blackberry Storm2 and moving to a Droid.

Thoughts? Specific Model to get? Negatives? Apps?

Thanks in Advance for any advice! :yesway:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I like my Google G1, but you can tell it's the first of the bunch. The lack of zoom & flash on the camera really bug me, and it can lock up or turn itself off now & again, but generally it's been pretty good.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Same as what Adam said, and I have a friend with a Fascinate that has nothing but good things to say about that as well.
Oh I didn't realize the Fascinate was out on Verizon already. That is easily the best phone out right now, specs wise, period. Best GPU/CPU combo, glorious screen.

Besides the screen size...what's the difference between the droid 2 and the droid x?
Screen size and camera, Droid 2 is only 5mpixel, same as the Droid, Droid X is 8. Also, supposedly the Droid X actually outperforms the Droid 2, but no one has ever been able to explain to me why...

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool..thx...

The Droid X also does not have a physical keyboard, just on screen, but I guess it does use Swype technology which is supposed to be pretty cool.

Oh I didn't realize the Fascinate was out on Verizon already. That is easily the best phone out right now, specs wise, period. Best GPU/CPU combo, glorious screen.

Screen size and camera, Droid 2 is only 5mpixel, same as the Droid, Droid X is 8. Also, supposedly the Droid X actually outperforms the Droid 2, but no one has ever been able to explain to me why...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm thinking of getting rid of my Blackberry Storm2 and moving to a Droid.

Thoughts? Specific Model to get? Negatives? Apps?

Thanks in Advance for any advice! :yesway:
I'd say go for the Droid X on Verizon, and if not on Verizon go for any Samsung Galaxy S phone. All of the above mop the floor with the shitbox that is the Storm 2.

EDIT

Adam is the Galaxy S stuff better than the Droid X? I thought they were roughly the same. Either way, they're both good phones.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm kinda stuck with Verizon, unfortunately...... AT&T has no signal at my house, VZ has 5 bars. I'm leaning towards the DroidX..... Can Android be "jailbroken" :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I'd say go for the Droid X on Verizon, and if not on Verizon go for any Samsung Galaxy S phone. All of the above mop the floor with the shitbox that is the Storm 2.

EDIT

Adam is the Galaxy S stuff better than the Droid X? I thought they were roughly the same. Either way, they're both good phones.
Galaxy S has the PowerVR SGX 540 GPU(I think that's the model name), whereas Droid X has a higher clocked SGX 530 and iPhone 3Gs and 4 have the SGX 535. Naturally, the model number corresponds to how powerful the GPU is, and it shows on the Galaxy S, it has the most powerful smartphone GPU out right now, as well as the most powerful CPU(since it's the same CPU as the Apple A4, only clocked at 1ghz vs the iPhone 4's 800mhz). Galaxy S has a lot going for it, and Android 2.2 is already being pushed in Europe, with the US soon to follow.

Also, Android 3.0 should be launching by the end of the year, hopefully making Android that much better. If not, I'll probably be looking at WP7 when it comes time to upgrade, since that seriously looks pretty slick.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Galaxy S has the PowerVR SGX 540 GPU(I think that's the model name), whereas Droid X has a higher clocked SGX 530 and iPhone 3Gs and 4 have the SGX 535. Naturally, the model number corresponds to how powerful the GPU is, and it shows on the Galaxy S, it has the most powerful smartphone GPU out right now, as well as the most powerful CPU(since it's the same CPU as the Apple A4, only clocked at 1ghz vs the iPhone 4's 800mhz). Galaxy S has a lot going for it, and Android 2.2 is already being pushed in Europe, with the US soon to follow.

Also, Android 3.0 should be launching by the end of the year, hopefully making Android that much better. If not, I'll probably be looking at WP7 when it comes time to upgrade, since that seriously looks pretty slick.
Meh, I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw with WP7. I'd rather stick with some Android iteration, or even better the iPhone, if it comes to Verizon in early 2011 like the rumors are saying.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Meh, I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw with WP7. I'd rather stick with some Android iteration, or even better the iPhone, if it comes to Verizon in early 2011 like the rumors are saying.
I feel like it leapfrogged every mobile OS out right now from an interface standpoint. It's so clean and fluid, it was most impressive, to me. iOS has looked dated for at least 2 versions of the OS now, to me, and Android feels dated by now, since I've had 3 revisions of the OS with no interface changes to speak of.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my DroidX. Fast, lots of apps, and an awesome screen.

In your shoes, especially if you are staying with Verizon, I'd maybe give it another month or two and see if the iPhone rumors become true and Verizon will have an iPhone on the network. Also, I thought I read somewhere that there will be dual core Android based phones out by the end of the year.

If you can't wait, the DroidX, Droid2, or the Fascinate. The interesting thing about the Fascinate is that you only have 2GB of internal memory, while the DroidX has 8GB. So keep that in mind. Froyo gives you the ability to install apps onto your SD card which will help with that issue.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I feel like it leapfrogged every mobile OS out right now from an interface standpoint. It's so clean and fluid, it was most impressive, to me. iOS has looked dated for at least 2 versions of the OS now, to me, and Android feels dated by now, since I've had 3 revisions of the OS with no interface changes to speak of.
iOS works for me; I don't need a new interface to feel good about the phone. I'm more concerned with features and application availability and quality, of which iOS I feel exceeds Android and WP7 at this point. I'm not saying you need 100K apps, but I think the apps available need to be great. So far WP7 is severely lacking in availability, and IMO the app versions for Android are in many cases not as good.

Plus, we all know how I feel about copy and paste :D, and WP7 doesn't do it. What is this, 2007?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
What about the HTC Desire HD? If you have that over there in the US?

Just look how fast that thing boot:
YouTube - HTC Desire HD vs iPhone 4 Startvorgang
I don't think boot time is really a factor with phones. Do you shut your phone down all the time? I don't.

Honestly, pretty much any modern phone is fast enough. I think it's really splitting hairs between any 1Ghz processor at this point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.