Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
some band covering DT...

Now, I get that this is a badass cover and all (I mean really...they nailed), but am I the only one that wishes they had their own sound? I mean, for god sakes, the bassist has the John Myung bass, the guitarist has 2 Petrucci guitars (a music man and one of the old Ibanez for the solo section), and the keyboardist even uses his ipod for parts. They dominate the cover...but...they sound like a DT copy band, at not their own band.

I dunno...thoughts?

Edit: Well I guess this is specifically a DT cover project....but...still. I've heard all of this shit from DT. Do it with a different axe!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
If they're a tribute band, then they should do their best to sound spot-on, but then I have no idea why you'd do a tribute band for a currently existing act. A Pink Floyd tribute band or Led Zeppelin tribute band makes sense... Metallica or DT doesn't.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I mean, for god sakes, the bassist has the John Myung bass,
/nitpick -- Bongos arent JM sigs. He did have Yamaha sigs, though.

I dont see what the problem with this is, though. I mean, its not like its a serious band, is it? and if they're doing a cover, then why not? I dunno. If people upload videos of them playing along with songs and backing tracks, why not do the same thing with a whole band?

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/nitpick -- Bongos arent JM sigs. He did have Yamaha sigs, though.

I dont see what the problem with this is, though. I mean, its not like its a serious band, is it? and if they're doing a cover, then why not? I dunno. If people upload videos of them playing along with songs and backing tracks, why not do the same thing with a whole band?
I could have sworn he had a signature bongo. Just did some research, and I guess he doesn't. My bad.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If they're a tribute band, then they should do their best to sound spot-on, but then I have no idea why you'd do a tribute band for a currently existing act. A Pink Floyd tribute band or Led Zeppelin tribute band makes sense... Metallica or DT doesn't.
Because Metallica was involved in a plane crash in 1990 :squint:

[action=Dickhammer]is in a Metallica cover band.[/action]

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

yes, but it is not a tribute band!

at least....i think cover bands and tribute bands are different....:shrug:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
if you were going to cover a DT song, why would they pick one of the songs from the least inspired albums.
Granted..."Awake" is tough to come close to but "Systematic Chaos" is a close 2nd or 3rd. My opinion of course. And really, whether you classify them as "tribute" or "cover" band, you don't see hardly any doing DT as good as these guys do them (in the studio). Would like to see them live to see if they could pull the same stuff off.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I think these guys have done a few of these. I know I saw their (fucking rad, spot on) cover of Metropolis Pt 1 on like a year ago.

Found it:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts

This. A tribute band is when you go out to REALLY nail it - like, dress the part, do the same stage show, obsess over tones and gear, play every part perfectly... do your best to re-create the original show for people. I was just saying that that band was so spot-on and obsessive it seemed like a tribute band, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just found out that this is the band Bad Salad, if anyone has ever heard of them. And yes, this is their sound. I checked out a couple tunes...sounds like DT.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts

Yes... it IS a tribute band.

Definitions:
Cover band = a band that plays covers by a lot of different bands (for example, 10 songs by 10 different bands)
Tribute band = a band that plays covers by only one single band (for example, 10 songs by Rush and none by anyone else)

I used to be in a Metallica tribute band about 5 years ago, and we only played songs off of the first 5 albums (Kill 'Em All to the Black album).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts