Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
It's a matter of taste, but the dual rec is such a better amplifier, why would you ever want to pull the trigger on something like this? The fireball is a 60 watt one-trick pony. The dual rec can basically do anything and is extremely versatile, especially if you have a newer 3 channel.

I just don't get the logic.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
What Vince said. Duals have three channels, with three modes per channel. You can get a ton of cool sounds out of them. Why do you want a one sound amp?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How much cash is reasonable to expect on his end though?

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
The Fireball would probably sell used for $800-900 depending on condition(if he has the ENGL footswitch add $100 to that).

Dunno what used Rectos go for, but I would figure out a price it worth to you, and decide how much extra you want.

I might be the only one on this board, but I don't like Rectos and really like the FB60. :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought the recto for around that so I'll get him to throw some cash in as well. It does come with a footswitch.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Why do you want that scooped, fizzy one-trick pony over a Recto?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Its pretty much an even trade IMO, i would stick with the RECTO; or try to trade for an ENGL with more channels and add cash (Invader / Savage)

Or just sell the Recto and buy this thing

It doesn't matter how well you play, or what you play; all that matters is that your AMP has chains and neon lights \m/

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Strong idea is strong, I actually found a buyer for $1100. I'm thinking of just saying fuck it and waiting till the studio's built then nabbing a power amp + Axe FX :lol:
Thats the smartest move, i bought and sold a bunch of ENGL's before i decided to just go with the AXE-FX (Still have the Invader, sits there unused); couldn't have been happier.

Just ask Sean

·
Read Only
10 Posts
This seems like a bad idea. It seems like you enjoy getting new gear more than you actually enjoy using the gear once you have it.

No way would I trade a DR for a single channel Engl.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're right, I blame you guys :lol:

What bugs me is how everything is throwing their high end rigs in for the axe fx. I don't really want to invest in a TS + Multi FX and more in the dual and then switch it all out for an AFX later on. I think you're the only one I know of that has kept his old setup and scrapped the axe.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Its true. I am super happy with the Axe Fx. The versatility of the unit in a live setting is what really does it for me. I like a tight rhythm, so I use a powerball / FAS duel amp rig for those super tight sounds, but I like a really loose, Pettrucci-esque lead, so I can use a Mesa amp for that.

Plus parametric EQs to tune the sound to the venue, multiband compressors, neat tricks with highpass filters to keep the low end tight, and more makes it sound great live. Some people might say it gets buried in the mix, but I never had this issue. My other guitarist is still using a 100W tube head, and the clarity the first time we rehearsed with the Axe was astonishing.

For our EP, we will probably mix Axe and a tube head for rhythms, and then use the Axe for all of the leads. Right now, we are just tracking DI using the Axe, and then we will send that to a studio for reamping. No studio time wasted on performance.

Plus, my demos are sounding better and better!

God I love the Axe!!!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You're right, I blame you guys :lol:

What bugs me is how everything is throwing their high end rigs in for the axe fx. I don't really want to invest in a TS + Multi FX and more in the dual and then switch it all out for an AFX later on. I think you're the only one I know of that has kept his old setup and scrapped the axe.
Hey, I scrapped the Axe TWICE. :lol:

I'll get another eventually. The AFX's biggest perk is that it kicks fucking ass for direct recording. But A/B with my actual tube amp, the Mesa won out because it sounded a lot more organic and "right" than the modeling in the AFX.

As modelers go, the AFX is far and away the best I've ever used, though.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I think it depends on what you're looking for out of a rig. I wanted a badass halfstack to crank through at gigs, and that's what I've got. I flat out play differently through a tube amp driving four speakers, since it feels completely different, and the sound is inspiring. I never have to worry about running it through the PA, either, since it is loud enough for all but a handful of the venues we play. No soundman can ruin where my guitar sits in the monitor mix, since I can her it right behind me. I hate, hate, HATE my guitar in the wedges, and I can take or leave Mike's, since we've been playing together long enough to stay locked in. If things aren't sounding quite right when we get going, I can easily change eq, presence, and gain settings, without thinking about it, and they stay there when I change channels. It is what I know and trust.

If I was building a home recording rig in an apartment or townhouse, though, then I would own an AxeFX. Without question. It's extremely versatile, and sounds closer than anything else I've heard to a real tube amp. It is ridiculous how much great tone you can get on a reasonable budget, considering that Rockman is what we had back in the day.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If I was building a home recording rig in an apartment or townhouse, though, then I would own an AxeFX. Without question. It's extremely versatile, and sounds closer than anything else I've heard to a real tube amp. It is ridiculous how much great tone you can get on a reasonable budget, considering that Rockman is what we had back in the day.
This. :yesway:

I'll own another AFX soon, probably this summer, that I'll use just for recording. But 99% of my playing is just me in front of my amp jamming over shit, and my concern right now was having the best sounding amp/tone "live" or in the room. I couldn't get that with the AFX, I kept trying to dial in Roadster tones instead, and was happiest when I just unplugged it and used my amp instead.

For recording though, absolutely. The AFX is the goods.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also keep in mind that you don't necessarily need the Ultra. If you're getting $1100 for the recto, you're only $400 away from the Standard which is still pretty fucking awesome, and unless you're going to go apeshit with super-patch-routing and really HAVE to have the synth stuff, it'll do the job for ya just fine.

My second AFX was a Standard, and the only patch that didn't port over from my Ultra was the violin. :lol:

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.