Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have really explored the differences between these two, can you give me some insight? I suppose the most important comparison for me is the 5150 50 watt head vs the mini recto because I need a clean and I believe the 5150 LBX can't do a clean.

I appreciate the 5150 50 has some features like a reverb that the mini recto doesn't but I'm really just focused on the difference in a core metal tone esp one that can hit the basics (eruption, master of puppets, faith no more epic).

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I don't think the 50W 5153 has a reverb on it.

Out of curiosity why are you looking at the mini recto vs a full sized one? From what I have read (so take it as hearsay) the two are not comparable.

Never tried a dual rec but I can say I am very happy with the 5153.

It's tough I mean I think the 5153 obviously gives you a better EVH tone but the Dual Rec probably does a better job of doing metallica. Although, Metallica has changed their gear a few times so off the top of my head I don't know exactly what they were using in the MoP era.

Are there any youtube shootouts of EVH vs Dual Rec?

This vid of a kid playing MoP on a 5153 sounds pretty good

Both amps are common enough I'd say try em out at a guitar shop.

I think both amps are very popular and rightfully so. It may come down to your preference. I know that's a bit of a cop out but everyone's tastes are a bit different.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
The Recto will be way more versatile and have much Better cleans and in my opinion a more "shapable" gain. The 5150 will be easier to get a good tone from straight away, but in the long run will leave you wanting more if you wish for versatility. Both good amps I would say, but the recto is on a different level IMHO.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
The Recto will be way more versatile and have much Better cleans and in my opinion a more "shapable" gain. The 5150 will be easier to get a good tone from straight away, but in the long run will leave you wanting more if you wish for versatility. Both good amps I would say, but the recto is on a different level IMHO.
Absolutely perfect description. :agreed:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, I wouldn't exactly call a Dual Recto versatile, even the three channel models. They both kind of only do one sound. Sure, the gain knob is better for backing of saturation than a 5150, but at the best the Dual Recto is sort of a Metal -> Early 2000s nu rock sort of amp IMO. More versatile than a 5150 sure, but it still only does the Recto sound.

If you want general rock use as well as metal there are a bunch of amps that are better. I would take a Mesa Stiletto over a Recto any day if those were my criteria, as well as a Mark III-IV.

OP, your post is a little vague. What's your budget? What volume will you be playing it at? Etc. etc. etc. If you are looking at used Dual Recs ($1k used) there are actually a lot of other options that might suit you better out there, many of them Mesa. There are a lot of cool Marshalls/Riveras for that money too.

Also, I wouldn't let built in Reverb be a deal breaker. The only high gain heads that have 'verb that is better than what you can get from a pedal are the Rivera KRs/K-tres. The reverb on Mesas is OK (I've been using the Reverb on a Roadster recently, it's nice, but I would still take a pedal over it any day), but you can nearly always get a $100 pedal that is a better verb than the majority of heads.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, I wouldn't exactly call a Dual Recto versatile, even the three channel models. They both kind of only do one sound. Sure, the gain knob is better for backing of saturation than a 5150, but at the best the Dual Recto is sort of a Metal -> Early 2000s nu rock sort of amp IMO. More versatile than a 5150 sure, but it still only does the Recto sound.

If you want general rock use as well as metal there are a bunch of amps that are better. I would take a Mesa Stiletto over a Recto any day if those were my criteria, as well as a Mark III-IV.

OP, your post is a little vague. What's your budget? What volume will you be playing it at? Etc. etc. etc. If you are looking at used Dual Recs ($1k used) there are actually a lot of other options that might suit you better out there, many of them Mesa. There are a lot of cool Marshalls/Riveras for that money too.

Also, I wouldn't let built in Reverb be a deal breaker. The only high gain heads that have 'verb that is better than what you can get from a pedal are the Rivera KRs/K-tres. The reverb on Mesas is OK (I've been using the Reverb on a Roadster recently, it's nice, but I would still take a pedal over it any day), but you can nearly always get a $100 pedal that is a better verb than the majority of heads.
He asked about two specific amps, I compared those two amps. So yeah, I stand by what I said. Also the mini recto is what he is talking about dude, and I find those quite more versatile than the full size. I also think the full size is capable more than just metal.

Edit: What the fuck would you know about versatility in an amp anyway :lol: Don't you just turn everthing to 11!? :immortal:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
With 3 channels, each having raw, vintage, and modern mode, diode switching, power switching, and having a really unique and different tone stack, I'd say the Rectifier was a seriously versatile amp.

I use one in a covers band that does everything from Soundgarden to Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Machine Head, Pantera, Megadeth to Lamb of God... With a boost out front going on and off depending on what's needed, each channel set to a different tone, it does it all and does it so well. I'm always getting compliments at the end of gigs about the tone.

It's one of the only amps I've played where the dials ACTUALLY CHANGE THE TONE! :lol: Especially if we're talking about the 5150-series here... And that goes for ANY 5150 amp. It's literally got one tone and one tone only, and the EQ is only there to adjust for each guitar/cab that you use with it. I've used both types of amps extensively both live and in the studio and the 5150 doesn't even come close to the Rectifier range in terms of a professional piece of equipment.

As soon as I plugged into a recto for the first time it sounded so much more expensive and refined. Like it's had a post-production mix on it coming right out the cab.

That's not to say I don't fucking love 5150's, because I do... I'm just saying, side by side, for me, there's no contest.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
With 3 channels, each having raw, vintage, and modern mode, diode switching, power switching, and having a really unique and different tone stack, I'd say the Rectifier was a seriously versatile amp.

I use one in a covers band that does everything from Soundgarden to Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Machine Head, Pantera, Megadeth to Lamb of God... With a boost out front going on and off depending on what's needed, each channel set to a different tone, it does it all and does it so well. I'm always getting compliments at the end of gigs about the tone.

It's one of the only amps I've played where the dials ACTUALLY CHANGE THE TONE! :lol: Especially if we're talking about the 5150-series here... And that goes for ANY 5150 amp. It's literally got one tone and one tone only, and the EQ is only there to adjust for each guitar/cab that you use with it. I've used both types of amps extensively both live and in the studio and the 5150 doesn't even come close to the Rectifier range in terms of a professional piece of equipment.

As soon as I plugged into a recto for the first time it sounded so much more expensive and refined. Like it's had a post-production mix on it coming right out the cab.

That's not to say I don't fucking love 5150's, because I do... I'm just saying, side by side, for me, there's no contest.
Yep, Recto's can turn people off if they've never played one because there is a learning curve with the amp. After you spend time with it though you find out very quickly what a beast they really are.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I have to 3rd the rectos as versatile point.

Yeah, every amp, by the inability to change valves and its topology on the fly, retains a core character through all its sounds, but on the reborns, between the channels (especially the clean, which is the same as a lonestar), channel modes, 50/100 or 150W and rectification type you can get a really huge range of sounds out of them. I've had my triple for a year and I'm still learning new things about how it can sound.

Yeah, the sound they do best is the sound they more or less invented, but there are genuinely great cleans, breakup, crunch, blues, classic and heavy rock sounds in there too. One of the most versatile amps I've played through. Especially when compared to my old JVM410H and powerball, which really did just have one tone with different amounts of gain.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
It's one of the only amps I've played where the dials ACTUALLY CHANGE THE TONE! :lol:
If by "actually change the tone" you mean "anything above 3 on the bass knob makes it unusable", yeah, they're magic for that.

Seriously though, they're versatile for metal amps, but for that price point there is a lot of stuff (even made by the same brand) that has them beat IMO.

I like Rectos, but if you have $1.2k or whatever to shell out and versatility is a concern there is a lot of stuff you should be looking at. Oldschool VHT/Fryette, Rivera, Marshall, other Mesas, etc. etc. etc.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yep, Recto's can turn people off if they've never played one because there is a learning curve with the amp. After you spend time with it though you find out very quickly what a beast they really are.
GTFO, the "learning curve" means "how long it takes you to be a smug bastard about being in the Mesa club". The only learning curve is like "oh, turn the bass pretty much off", other than that it's just switching stuff on and off to see what sounds best (Bold/Spongy/Vintage/Modern, power settings, whatever), which you know, is sort of the same thing you do on any amp

I sold my Recto (it was one of the versatile ones too, not one of the stock Dual/Triple models) because personally I found it way overrated.

I'm not saying they aren't good amps, but VHT (now known as Fryette) and Rivera both make better amps if you need something more versatile than a 5150 IMO.

Rectos are great, but the tone you are actually going to use from them is "that Recto tone".

Also, Recto cleans only blow people away when they haven't tried amps other than 5150s. Fryettes and Riveras (once again) both have better cleans.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I have a pittbull CL100EQ and a reborn triple rec.

I adore my pittbull. I always come back to it. Its core sound, dry, aggressive, tight as fuck, is as close as it gets to the sound in my head. I prefer it to the recto by quite a margin.

But the recto is more versatile, no contest. Including having better cleans.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I am just curious... Are you looking to buy one of the "Mini" heads you mentioned?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Whether you're talking the Mini or full size Recto, they're incredibly flexible heads. The 5150 is a great head, but not even close in terms of versatility.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
GTFO, the "learning curve" means "how long it takes you to be a smug bastard about being in the Mesa club". The only learning curve is like "oh, turn the bass pretty much off", other than that it's just switching stuff on and off to see what sounds best (Bold/Spongy/Vintage/Modern, power settings, whatever), which you know, is sort of the same thing you do on any amp

I sold my Recto (it was one of the versatile ones too, not one of the stock Dual/Triple models) because personally I found it way overrated.

I'm not saying they aren't good amps, but VHT (now known as Fryette) and Rivera both make better amps if you need something more versatile than a 5150 IMO.

Rectos are great, but the tone you are actually going to use from them is "that Recto tone".

Also, Recto cleans only blow people away when they haven't tried amps other than 5150s. Fryettes and Riveras (once again) both have better cleans.
Dude, come on. Riveras and Mesas are two sides to the same coin. Riveras aren't better, just different.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Itt: mesa fanboys versus G.

Fwiw, owning a versatile amp and utilizing that versatility are two different things. If you only need clean and dirty, then it's a far closer comparison. Having that discussion elsewhere online too :lol:.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that since the op soecifically mentioned the 5150 III...

...the clean tone on the 5153 makes the recto clean tone it's bitch.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Itt: mesa fanboys versus G.

Fwiw, owning a versatile amp and utilizing that versatility are two different things. If you only need clean and dirty, then it's a far closer comparison. Having that discussion elsewhere online too :lol:.
Mesa should just hire this forum to be its advertising department.

I fucking swear, I've owned a shit ton of Mesa products, and oddly I never get the urge to repeatedly fellate them in online discussions, but the quality of zealot level devotion (sometimes from people who don't even use their products) around these parts gives ISIS a run for its money.

Dual Rectos, pretty much the second coming you filthy peasants.

It's seriously astounding to the point of being lol-worthy.

It's largely because of like, everyone here is kind of kids of the nu-metal age (don't deny it), when the Dual Recto was the "it" amp. In addition to that strong childhood indoctrination, Mesa appeals to the faux intellectual in all of us. I remember when I was reading the manual for my Roadster and they present information to you like it's the fucking Dead Sea Scrolls and market this whole schtick that all the options makes you some sort of tonal savant.

Could just be the bitterness talking though, I sold my Mesa, and now I have to live a sad existence where I don't have access to the "spongy" setting. Which automatically makes me a second class citizen. I would be third class, but I've still got my Mesa cabs, made out of magical Mesa wood.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.